Proving to O2 my Note 2 was not rooted

Soldato
I hear nothing but complaints about anovo IMHO folk should spam Samsung with complaints and every tech site, they want driving out of business.

+1

Samsung ignore complaints, fob you off and simply wear you down until you give up. I actually received a private number call not long ago from a 'high level representive' from Samsung apologising for the on-going problems I was having in getting my handset repaired, she said it had been escalated to her they were looking at having it resolved asap and she would contact me back directly within 24 business hours and would also be looking to offer some form of compensation. She never rang back. A week later when I rang Samsung up and tried to find out who had called me, they had no idea and even claimed I was making it up because 'their system didn't show anyone called me that day'. Their customer service department are shocking.

Associate
OP
Well its 2 weeks they have had it now and i hadn't heard from them so called the O2 repair company directly.
The told me the "request" to reassess was rejected and that the engineer was a senior Samsung engineer and doesn't need to see it again. When i asked for the full diagnostics they said "foreign software" was all that was written and they wouldn't even provide the name of the engineer who worked on it.
They never bothered to tell me this and I had to call them.

They refused to discuss anything further and said i have to call customer services to raise the matter further.

Called Customer services who simply called the same person i spoke to at the repair centre to request more information. But it is just more information, not a repair, which means more waiting time as I despute their findings.

My options are to pay the repair fee which is £73 (if I had rooted thats a reasonable amount to pay) or to request the phone back and send it to Samsung instead.

Anyone have experience of dealing with Samsung directly?

Awful awful service from O2.
Will not be signing on again with them.

Soldato
I didn't think that it mattered if it was rooted.

From the XDA forums :-

The FSFE (Free Software Foundation Europe), has concluded that rooting and flashing our devices don't void their warranties. Manufacturers can't refuse to repair a device because modifying or changing system software is not a sufficient reason to void the "statutory warranty". The seller has to prove that the defect is caused by user's actions before completelly voiding the warranty. Unless that, the standard 2 years of the warranty is still valid. So the Directive 1999/44/CE dictates1 protects consummers even if they have rooted and flashed their system in order to use custom ROMs.

Linky

Soldato
Yep, rooting doesn't void warrenty in the EU.

Tell them if the phone doesn't even get to the bootloader they have no idea whether it's rooted or not, if the phone is under 6 months old THEY need to prove that it's rooted and that the fault is caused by it being rooted.

Edit: Nevermind, if it's less than 6 months old they have to repair it, if it's older than they they have to prove it was rooted AND that the problem was caused by it being rooted/overclocked/whatever you did to it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for that. Maybe that will help me if they listen.

With regards before/after 6month ruling. can you provide a reference so i can pass on this information to O2.

I think l when I handed my phone to the store it was less than 6 months old, but now its gone over.

Associate
If your after the name of the engineer contact the O2 shop you sent it away from and ask them to go on the "live update" bit when they do a repair enquiry on your name. This will tell you the name of the engineer and give you a rough overview of the "fault".

I would check for you but im afraid it only lets us check repairs sent away from our own store. Anovo are awful though Ill agree with you there. Unfortunately every Network (EE, Three, Voda, Carphone, P4U) all use them so you wont be better off elsewhere im afraid.

Only advice I can give is persist and make them prove to you it's rooted. If they cant even get to the bootloader they cant tell simple.

Soldato
maybe you should also go to trading standards as this is shocking service.

i had rooted my samsung galaxy s 1 and sent to samsung. they re-flashed it and returned it to me with stock firmware within a wk. i live in essex, not sure where it was sent to though. i had no problem.

never knew about that EU directive though. interesting.

sorry to hear your problems.

Associate
OP
This is turning into a joke.

I followed all your guys advice. So they have a report, but will only send it IF i refuse the quotation and they send the phone back. which is a huge waste of time as its 5 working days to get the phone back. Plus that will take it over the 6 month threshold. So if samsung take it then they are not under the same obligations. or is that not the case?

This is not just the repair centre, this is O2 being utter *****s.

I'm going to contact O2 head office.

Soldato
6 months at the point the fault arose.

Not when they decide to fix it.

You should be dealing with o2 as the contract is with them, cancel the contract stating they are in breach and explain that you have given them every opportunity to repair the device and they have refused breaching your statutory rights.

Soldato
The 6 months makes no difference in this case (although it wouldn't matter if it's gone over afaik as long as the fault was reported in the first 6 months) as they can't prove it was rooted to start with if they can't get into the bootloader :).

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Do O2 have a contact the CEO link anywhere? With Vodafone messaging/calling them gets things done a lot, lot quicker than any other method

Associate
OP
An update on my end.

Refused the repair and guess what? they didn't bother sending any report or evidence.

Managed to get an email address of an O2 CEO. Sent an email with details of how the repair service has been. 2 days later, they're sending me a refurb phone and giving me 1 month free line rental.

O2 has generally been okay and the staff have tried to help, but they do seem to have their hands tied with regards dealing with the outsourced repairs.

Very bad experience with my first Samsung. Will probably get a Sony next time.

Now how do I check that the phone they sent me is not rooted, so this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Associate
That is truly shocking OP. Its easy to see why most people have iphones now. I guess with the rise of samsung, their customer service hasn't improved enough to cope with the demand or something along those lines.

Caporegime
What's this about a 6 month cut off?

I need to send mine for fixing/replacing and it's about 12/13 months old - with O2 Preimere insurance.

Back
Top Bottom