Maximum working hours allowed per week?

Man of Honour
neocon said:
is it 48 but then some people work 70 hr weeks apparently

That's the working time directive, which you can opt out off.

it's meant to mean people dont have to work more than 48hrs, but you try doing that in some places and you'll get fired. it isn't worth the paper it's written on in the uk.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last company I worked at, we had a standard contract that stated that if need be, we may require the worker to work more than 48 hours, but if they chose too they didn't have to sign that section of the contract and it was by choice. Whilst a lot did sign it, others simply refused but they didn't loose their jobs or anything or got refused a job. Most companies will probably try to sneak it into a contract though in the chance that you may miss it or just "skim" the contract over then sign it, since you don't have to actually have the employee agree and sign to it seperately, then hammer you if you refused to work over the 48 hour mark since you are in breach of contract.

As vonhelmet states also, there is a limit on shift work, such as continental shift patterns whereby you can't work more than a certain amount of hours per shift for H&S reasons. There might also be limits imposed by a Union if you are part / or are going to be part of one.

Soldato
OP
AcidHell2 said:
there isn't, unless you use machinery ect, then it's 12hr shifts with a minimum 8hrs between.

That was what I thought, until someone told me about some new law? Fourty something hours I was told is the maximum allowed now. Any truth in this?

Man of Honour
e36Adz said:
That was what I thought, until someone told me about some new law? Fourty something hours I was told is the maximum allowed now. Any truth in this?
48 as I said, it depends on the company, some will basically force you out the door. Most will force you one way or the other to sign the opt out clause. depends if you work for a good company or a bad company.

But it's also not 48hrs per week, it's an average of 48hrs a week over 3months, so you could legally work 80hr weeks.

Man of Honour
e36Adz said:

That is the Working Time Directive as already mentioned by AcidHell2, you are automatically included in the maximum 48hr/week provision unless you opt out but many companies make you opt out when you sign your contract. However you can (with a months notice) opt back in at any time and they cannot legally fire you for it - doesn't mean they won't fire you but they might dress up the reasons a bit. ;)

Caporegime
e36Adz said:

I very much doubt it, given the fact that this country is full of workaholics doing 60, 70 hours plus.

Soldato
OP
Reason I ask is, I currently work weekends only (16 hours), and am looking for weekday work now that I'm free, preferrably PT but I'd also do FT if something came up. How many hours would I be allowed to work though, could I do a normal FT mon-fri job?

Soldato
OP
semi-pro waster said:
That is the Working Time Directive as already mentioned by AcidHell2, you are automatically included in the maximum 48hr/week provision unless you opt out but many companies make you opt out when you sign your contract. However you can (with a months notice) opt back in at any time and they cannot legally fire you for it - doesn't mean they won't fire you but they might dress up the reasons a bit. ;)

Man of Honour
e36Adz said:
Reason I ask is, I currently work weekends only (16 hours), and am looking for weekday work now that I'm free, preferrably PT but I'd also do FT if something came up. How many hours would I be allowed to work though, could I do a normal FT mon-fri job?

yes you can do as many hours as you like, if you opt out. unless your using machinery in which case it's 12hr shifts with 8hrs rest.

Soldato
OP
AcidHell2 said:
yes you can do as many hours as you like, if you opt out. unless your using machinery in which case it's 12hr shifts with 8hrs rest.

Nice one mate. Just for the record I do not wish to work every hour God sends :eek: Part time hours would be ideal really.

Man of Honour
e36Adz said:
Nice one mate. Just for the record I do not wish to work every hour God sends :eek: Part time hours would be ideal really.
what you want is the job I had when I was young, warehouse work 8hrs sat and sunday. with as much over time during the week as I wanted.
When I was "saving" for a tv, amp and stereo system. i did 6 12hr shifts and 1 8hr shift and took home over 1200 for the week :)..

My best pay packet ever.

Man of Honour
e36Adz said:
How many hours would I be allowed to work though, could I do a normal FT mon-fri job?

You can do as many as you want really, however you should inform the company (your full time employer especially) that you are working over 48hr/week (averaged over a 3 month period as AcidHell2 says) so that they do not fall foul of their duty as employers - I believe they can veto the other job or only give you a certain amount of hours to make sure you aren't working too many but most companies will just get you to opt out of the WTD.

Back
Top Bottom