What size of van can you drive on a normal car licence?

Associate
schnipps said:
Thanks lads know where i stand now, tbh a big transit will likely do as i dont have a huge amount to move, the king size matress likely being the largest item. Baffled why people who passed before a certain time can drive what looks like every vehicle bar a 747 jumbo and others are restricted to fiat panda's but doesnt really suprise me :)
Good way of earning more revenue. ;) Also, I can understand it to a certain extent as some people who drive cars should never be let in a 7.5 ton let alone a van but it is a bit silly to all of a sudden change the law like that!

Edit: Prime example: I remember a year ago or so at work we had to repair the fibreglass roof on a box bodied LDV where someone had forgotten the height and smashed a hole in it under a low bridge or something. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
PMKeates said:
The big big Transit.

No thats 3.5ton ;)

7.5 tonners are baby trucks, and, look like them. ;)

meetbrum9.jpg

Took the above image at a members meet in Brum last year, mine the one with lots of categorys.

C1 is the 7.5 ton category, not available on a car licence if you passed your test after 01/97 iirc.

Last edited:
Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
No thats 3.5ton ;)

meetbrum9.jpg

Took the above image at a members meet in Brum last year, mine the one with lots of categorys.

C1 is the 7.5 ton category, not available on a car licence if you passed your test after 01/97 iirc.

Done for failing to give details twice!!!!

Permabanned
What size of van can you drive on a normal car licence?

Too big, judging by the std of driving on our motoways, 7.5 tonners are the worst on the motorway, they sit and hog the outside lane, same as the van pick up drivers, i think they forget they are driving a 'HGV' and must think they are still driving their car :(

Associate
ROFL..... Most professional/C+E Drivers are very good drivers, it's the general public - who don't understand HGV's that moan...

Yes you are right about "yorkie" truckers. But then you have to reside yourself to the fact that most normally drive cars, and as you say think they own the road... :(

Permabanned
Ak!ta said:
ROFL..... Most professional/C+E Drivers are very good drivers, it's the general public - who don't understand HGV's that moan...

Yes you are right about "yorkie" truckers. But then you have to reside yourself to the fact that most normally drive cars, and as you say think they own the road... :(

I have a lot of time for most commercial drivers, white van man (the sprinter and new trannies dudes on the whole), HGV (ie those who drive proper lorries) drivers are excellent on the whole they get the job done.a lot of the time HGV's have to pull out to overtake numpty car drivers in the inside lane doing 40mph.

Its just those pick-up,LGV's i suppose and the 7.5 tonners that i come across that are complete *******. I pass so many on the inside lane doing the speed limit its scary, they then get pissy with you,flash you and swear at you etc, why they just sit there i dont know.

Associate
Agreed. Most drivers **** HGV Drivers off, but until you have driven one you won't know ie, to overtake on Motorway you may have to change down several gears - just to see the idiot in the inside lane accelerate. Or people flashing and peeping horns at turns and roundabouts, because they don't understand that a 42' truck can't turn like a car and think that the driver is intimidating them by encroaching into their lane... :rolleyes:

Glad to see someone understands.... ;)

Soldato
Ak!ta said:
Agreed. Most drivers **** HGV Drivers off, but until you have driven one you won't know ie, to overtake on Motorway you may have to change down several gears - just to see the idiot in the inside lane accelerate. Or people flashing and peeping horns at turns and roundabouts, because they don't understand that a 42' truck can't turn like a car and think that the driver is intimidating them by encroaching into their lane... :rolleyes:

Glad to see someone understands.... ;)

One thing they surely can't defend is passing another truck doing 59.8mph at 59.9mhp, both being on the limiter. I wouldn't mind in light traffic but they hold up about a mile of traffic doing it at rush hour.

Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
No thats 3.5ton ;)

meetbrum9.jpg

Pretty sure one of them is mine.

Yep top left one. ;)

Associate
BigglesPiP said:
One thing they surely can't defend is passing another truck doing 59.8mph at 59.9mhp, both being on the limiter. I wouldn't mind in light traffic but they hold up about a mile of traffic doing it at rush hour.

Agreed common sense does come into play... :p

Associate
I must confess, i ( and others) held up the whole m25 once for 6 hours. The whole M25 was closed off and part of London also... :p

We were transporting "Something" and the vehicle although guarded by armed Military and civil Police, broke down (very embarassing). It took 4 hours to fix, and the M25 and Half of London ground to a halt. Quite funny when i think back about it... :p :D

Caporegime
chipperhead said:
Yeah, failure to identify driver, nice!
Feel free to fill us in in on the details if you wish, fined £440 :eek:

Its what happens if your flashed by a camera in an HGV, thats registered to a lease company, who can't be bothered to trace the driver (me) and the first you hear about it - itself due to me then moving house & the agency I was working for having me still listed at the old address - hence they did'nt find me with the summons's - is a knock on the door from a baliff(!) with a warrant for seizure of goods.

Its happened twice! :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom