Debit card cloned, how did they get my details?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Spotted two transactions on my debit card for mobile phone top-ups, which clearly aren't mine, I don't even have any PayG phones.

I've cancelled the card etc, but I'm stumped as to how they got my card details.

I do use the card on line, but only ever Paypal and sites I have used numerous times before and had no issues with (large trusted sites). I haven't used it in any shops/garages that I haven't used it in before, and in these places there were no obvious pieces of dodgy hardware attached to the card machine. I haven't noticed anything suspicious when withdrawing from cashpoints either.

So how the **** did this happen? :confused::confused:

Man of Honour
I've been done before as well. I'm very careful about shredding receipts and checking cash machines (don't use them often anyway). I think it was done whilst using (or a previous time) an online purchase.

Soldato
I had my card cloned, and a transaction of about £300 was withdrawn from an ATM in Poland. I still don't know how they did it, but I expect it was a rigged ATM somewhere :)

Soldato
Always worries me. I've been keeping all my bank statments i get through the post untill i buy a shreder :(

I try and keep my card use down to one place (ASDA) and a few popular websites.

Associate
Had it happen to one of my credit cards recently - a card I'd never physically used anywhere, only balance on it was for a balance transfer made when applying. Yet somehow, some O2 topups were made using it!

Soldato
I had £4K taken from my cards last December in Brazil. Was a dogey machine, a little 'black box' hidden behind it. The cops caught the guys who did it and I got every penny back.

my little story.

Soldato
I had £4K taken from my cards last December in Brazil. Was a dogey machine, a little 'black box' hidden behind it. The cops caught the guys who did it and I got every penny back.

my little story.

My only issue was when an online computer shop double charged me for my pc parts (not ocuk, they rock) which left me overdrawn by £100+

They could only give me £50 in cash untill it was sorted out. It totally ruined my day, and the rest of the week to.

I tend to empty my main account on pay day and store it in savings accounts. :p

Man of Honour
I find this no use at all. You have to lift your hand a little to see what your keying in anyway. So it wouldn't be hard to tell the placement of your finger on the pad using video.

I know the layout of the keys and can key in my PIN without looking under the wallet I use to cover the keypad.

It isn't a guarantee against fraud full stop but without the PIN number, card readers are useless and they can't get the PIN with a card reader alone. They need video footage or someone surfing you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I know the layout of the keys and can key in my PIN without looking under the wallet I use to cover the keypad.

It isn't a guarantee against fraud full stop but without the PIN number, card readers are useless and they can't get the PIN with a card reader alone. They need video footage or someone surfing you.

I tend to be random with my pins, ill cover my hand and move my fingers randomly over most the keys, put only putting pressure on 4.

Don't know if this helps, but i think it will be hard to guess which 4 i actually press :o

Permabanned
There are loads of ways to steal someone's details - so you should protect yourself for when it happens. Keep most of your money in accounts which you don't have cards for, ISA, saving etc. Keep a month's pay in your debit account - use that at cashpoints only. Use a credit card for anything else, so if they steal the details they take the bank's money not yours.

Back
Top Bottom