• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official Ivybridge Overclock Thread***

Associate
IBT 94c? You are mad, I only use Prime95 now, IBT is scary. People mess with the VTT to stabilize ram I think, and PLL to try to lower it and get better temps but tbh it didn't make a difference, probably ideal for people running at stock because can lower to 1.5V without problems. IGPU doesn't make a difference either but I disabled because it is useless for me.

Associate
IBT is good to get a quick handle on your maximum temps, but 30 passes? ouch. It puts far too much stress on the cpu and will do more harm than good. I wouldn't go above 85c IBT at the extreme end. I've got my overclock hitting 75c in IBT and that's where I'm happy.

Lower PLL supposedly lowers maximum temps, but I don't see more than a margin of error difference.

VTT needs increasing if you run higher speed memory.

Caporegime
Anyone reccomend any decent guides for oc'ing ib cpu's. Spec is.

asus p8 z77 v pro
8gb corsair vengeance lp

So far, ive only tried the windows turbo v utility for a quick 4.2ghz oc, vcore under load of 1.244v, temps maxing at 62c under p95. Cooling is an Alpenfohn k2.

Associate
Anyone reccomend any decent guides for oc'ing ib cpu's. Spec is.

asus p8 z77 v pro
8gb corsair vengeance lp

So far, ive only tried the windows turbo v utility for a quick 4.2ghz oc, vcore under load of 1.244v, temps maxing at 62c under p95. Cooling is an Alpenfohn k2.

Just use this thread mate. That vcore a bit high for 4.2Ghz im @ 1.165v same 4.2Ghz

Caporegime
Yep, i suspected that it would be a bit high. Windows based utilities have a habit of setting high levels. Ill have a good read through this thread and google a bit on my particular board. Not new to oc'ing, but the various settings are a little different from my old x58 setup.

raf

raf

Associate
I built an IB system last week and have settled on 4.4 Ghz, 1.2v vcore as my 24/7 overclock. Idle temps are typically around 27, under prime they max out on the hottest core at 78 with my fan in silent mode. I'm sure I could knock a few degrees off by removing the silent adapter but don't see the point really.

I'd planned to use dynamic vcore for my overclock but in practice it doesn't seem to function as I wanted it to (4.4 @ 1.2v when under load then dropping to 1.6 @ 0.9v when not being stressed). The dynamic vcore setting (I think it's DVID on this board) only becomes selectable when I set the vcore to 'normal' which locks it at 1.15v meaning that would be my power saving voltage rather than the desired 0.9v. Think I'll just leave it at a 4.4GHz, 1.2v constant clock for the time being.

Associate
I seem to be getting the same temps on my 4.7Ghz (1.33v) as I did when I had it on 4.5Ghz @ 1.280v

j0uXm.png

Temps only get into the 70c when I've got my GPU under some kind of load playing games. Just using an antec 620 with an extra £3 ebay fan as a push/pull setup.

Note these aren't max temps on prime/ibt, just 100% folding load all day.

Last edited:
Soldato
IBT is good to get a quick handle on your maximum temps, but 30 passes? ouch. It puts far too much stress on the cpu and will do more harm than good. I wouldn't go above 85c IBT at the extreme end. I've got my overclock hitting 75c in IBT and that's where I'm happy.

False, it's just hotter, not damaging in any way. 10-100 passes with max memory (without paging) is one of the best (the best IMO) stability tests out there.

Associate
Mmm, I was thinking about trying 4.7-4.8GHz, but not sure if it's going to decrease the life of my chip? Can't afford to replace the chip for many years now as I want to go to uni next year...

Associate
Folding at home isn't anywhere near as stressful as a proper stress tester. You may want to see if its actually stable with a proper program matey.

Already been stressed initially with IBT max memory. Folding for a week is a true test of stability and I only posted the pics to show the temps are similar to what I'm getting on 4.5, after two weeks or so I'll know if I'm stable, which I probably am at these high volts.

I've ran prime for 14 hours on my old amd phenom then started to fold the next day and it blue screened within 20 minutes. Same with this chip. After 2 days of solid folding (doing something useful I might add) I got a blue screen and a whea error after something like 60 hours of non-stop folding. you can pass IBT/prime for 24 hours but if you can't fold 24/7 your OC is useless.

Soldato
Out of interest would a memory issue effect an overclock? For example, if one of my memory sticks wasn't as good as the others or had a fault, would the result be that I need more CPU voltage to overcome this issue? Probably a daft question

Soldato
Already been stressed initially with IBT max memory. Folding for a week is a true test of stability and I only posted the pics to show the temps are similar to what I'm getting on 4.5, after two weeks or so I'll know if I'm stable, which I probably am at these high volts.

I've ran prime for 14 hours on my old amd phenom then started to fold the next day and it blue screened within 20 minutes. Same with this chip. After 2 days of solid folding (doing something useful I might add) I got a blue screen and a whea error after something like 60 hours of non-stop folding. you can pass IBT/prime for 24 hours but if you can't fold 24/7 your OC is useless.

Hmm I don't really agree. Certainly not something most other people use as a reliability benchmark. Folding generates waaay less heat for one.

Oh and folding 24/7 certainly doesn't dictate a pc being useful or not. A very small percentage of the worlds pc's are actually used for fah.

Associate
I meant being a useful tool/stress tester in having scientific results compared to 12 hours of prime which nets you what exactly? If you frequented folding forums and seasoned users of distributed computing I'm sure they'd disagree with you in your opinion of folding being a poor test of stability. Like I said use IBt 30 passes to test for heat but I wouldn't use that for 12 hours straight.

Like I said I've passed long periods of prime95 then started folding and it crashes. If a computer can't fold it means it's unstable and therefore useless, unless you like blue screens.

Soldato
Lol.

I don't even use my pc for folding - does that make it useless? I'll tell you something though, it can fold at 4.7ghz no problem. Fire up prime or IBT and you can bet your bottom dollar it crashes.

Soldato
I have a i5 3570k running at stock speeds and using my Hyper 212+ it doesn't go over 43c on load.

Question is, will there be a noticeable improvement in game fps if I OC it? I mean, is it really worth the extra power draw and temp increase that comes with overclocking?

Back
Top Bottom