Why are Adobe discontinuing Flash on Mobile devices?

Soldato
Flash is dead because there's a viable alternative that uses a bucket load less battery and requires less hardware grunt for the same performance.

Don't judge HTML5 based on the BBC's integration of it - its terrible and crashes all the time for me too (iPad user) - a problem i haven't had at all when streaming football from a site i best not mention, that also uses HTML5 streaming - of even lfc.tv's HTML5 content for that matter.

Associate
Unfortunately this happens when one company (ie Apple) is able to dictate what others do simply because of market share. Personally I'd like to have the choice to have Flash or not have Flash, but because Steve didn't like it, we don't get it at all.

this sums up my thoughts too.

Caporegime
If you're browsing dodgy sites....

Or installing dodgy apps that request access to everything or some japanese pron app or app from a 3rd party source :p

Pretty much the same for every other OS out there.

Apart from those, no problems with malware on android and very easy to avoid :)

Last edited:
Associate
I bookmarked these sites my Galaxy S3 to prove a point:

http://waterlife.nfb.ca/

http://wechoosethemoon.org/

Are they silky smooth? Nope. Are they horrendous to view? Nope. Do they work alright? Yup.

:p

Galaxy S3. Dolphin Browser HD. Adobe Flash Player 11.1.115.11.

You know what's hilarious? I was able to stream TVCatchup on my old Milestone... just about!

But Flash will die (which is fine). Just not for a while (a say give it another year). It's been quite useful at times actually. I prefer having that choice really. Until the sites I use that have Flash embedded actually start defaulting everything to HTML5 I'm not going to proclaim the death of Flash (which seems to have been said to be dead since the big Steve Jobs letter). They haven't done that. Youtube and BBC still default to Flash for my desktop and mobile.

Soldato
Flash has been long in decline before Steve Jobs even mentioned that, he just wanted to look like the father figure of the decline (surprise surprise).

Good luck watching all the Olympics online if you don't have Flash. HTML5 would be no where capable of doing it as well as it is currently with the Tennis.

Soldato
I cant wait for it to go, on Droid Phones/ Tablets. and the Blackberry Playbook, it is the ONLY thing that cause problems in the browser, that and the load of security problems over the years, ill be glad to see the back of it.

Associate
Unfortunately this happens when one company (ie Apple) is able to dictate what others do simply because of market share. Personally I'd like to have the choice to have Flash or not have Flash, but because Steve didn't like it, we don't get it at all.

I wouldn't say its unrelated but I can't blame Apple for Adobe wanting to move away from flash. It's been going down hill for years, which no great improvements.

Running it on old devices became unstable, and much higher cpu usage required.

The move onto other standards is welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom