Printer cuts off bottom of text sometimes?

Soldato
I have an HP 2575 printer that has been fine up until the last few days or so. When it prints it sometimes cuts off the bottom half of text for no apparent reason. All HP drivers are installed and I just ran HP Update which downloaded an update for it.

I've tried running through the cleaning and alignment process via the little LCD display on the printer itself and have also ran through the more thorough cleaning process within the Windows printer properties. But it still cuts off the bottom of text.

It was working perfectly well before yesterday as I said. Any suggestions as to why its doing this and how to fix it before I take it out to the garden and set fire to it?.

Ta. :)

Soldato
I have an HP 2575 printer that has been fine up until the last few days or so. When it prints it sometimes cuts off the bottom half of text for no apparent reason.

NO! It's a stupid printer, that's all the reason it needs! Printers were invented by the devil to give the likes of you and me nightmares - paper jams, blocked print heads, out of ink, drivers won't work, won't install, won't network, random errors that are meaningless.

I hate printers, weather I'm at work or at home I'm forever at war with them they just won’t quit giving me hard time. My advice is just get a Cricket bat and smash the damn thing to kingdom come and you will feel so much better……oh hold on your Scottish so cricket bats will be in short supply on your side of boarder, just give it a Glaswegian and have done with it.

edit:

Do you get the same problem with the Windows test page? Make sure it's printing to A4 and not legal size paper.

Last edited:
Associate
I too hate printers with a passion, beat it with the bat, then set it on fire.

Now a more constructive suggestion

make sure all the settings are set for A4 paper (if you are using A4). the document, the printer, and the printing defaults.

Most of the time HP printers set them self to letter size as the default (I hate this, the PC can be set for English, UK keyboard and GMT time zone, but it still insists using letter size)

Oh Freddie1980 mentioned that already

is the problem that all the text is missing the lower half off from the characters, or is it the last few rows of text not being printed at the bottom of the page

Soldato
OP
LOL!!!. I know what you mean. This thing seems to have a mind of it's own whilst my other printer, an old HP1100A Laser printer has never given me an ounce of problems ever. :)

Anyway, I checked the settings and it is set to A4. Didn't think it would be anything different as the printer used to work perfectly well, its only been the last couple of days its been doing this. As far as where the "cut-off" is happening, its weird. It can print most of the text on a page fine but at some point usually near the end of the page the letters themselves are missing the bottom 1/3 of the printed text. It's not that the last few lines or paragraph is missing completely, its the actual letters themselves missing a wee bit.

Strangely, when I print a test page or clean and align the printer heads the pages it spews out look fine with none of this behaviour evident. :confused:

Soldato
Strangely, when I print a test page or clean and align the printer heads the pages it spews out look fine with none of this behaviour evident. :confused:

Ok if the test page is working fine then it sounds like the margins or the footers in your document aren't within your printers print range. If your printer isn't able to print right to the edge then adjust the formatting of the document.

Associate
try printing a page of black text from word. does the problem happen, next recolour the text so it's all blue/red, any colour you want, does that fix the problem, if it does it a problem with the black cartridge/head

Associate
Might sounds stupid, but try a different driver. If they offer a PCL6 or a 5* try whichever you aren't using. We get problems with printer drivers corrupting or just changing their mind as to what they want all the time. Maybe try a driver from another similar model and see if that works?

Soldato
Had a similar problem at work a while back.
The bottom of some lines of text were missing. These lines of text happened to be in text boxes. Fault was diagnosed as a problem with one of the fonts used in the document.
I wasn't the one to find the 'fix' so can't elaborate any more. Try setting all the text in a document that is failing to exactly the same font, a Windows default one, and try a re-print.

Associate
SOLUTION: This works 100% time for me. Simply uninstall the cartridge that is cutting off the bottom half of the text (usually black). Then reinstall the cartridge and run clean nozzles. Voila!

Back
Top Bottom