• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safe temperatures for AMD FX 8350

Associate
I just ran Prime95 and I was getting around 59*C , I am using the stock cooler.

What are safe temperatures for an AMD FX 8350 to run at? I have no idea if 59* is hot for a CPU.

EDIT:

Idles at about 32*C

Last edited:
Associate
can't say either, but why a stock cooler? fit a better one and it will be loads better,

i have a i7 2700K 3.50GHz @ 4.20GHz DDR3 with a Zero Infinity Phantom CPU Cooler, and its running 24/7 at 31c with 20% load, only gets to 41c at 70% and not got any higher as nothing i use pushes it more atm

Associate
OP
can't say either, but why a stock cooler? fit a better one and it will be loads better,

i have a i7 2700K 3.50GHz @ 4.20GHz DDR3 with a Zero Infinity Phantom CPU Cooler, and its running 24/7 at 31c with 20% load, only gets to 41c at 70% and not got any higher as nothing i use pushes it more atm

I am going to get a different cooler ASAP, but can't afford one just yet. I built my PC yesterday and just want to make sure nothings gonna melt if I play Crysis.
:D

Associate
Your best to keep the new FX cpus under 65oC

Prime 95 is a worst case scenario benchmark.... so worst case scenario your cpu will hit 59oc ( ambient tempreature dependent )

Associate
i started to get worried when i saw others posting temps, mine seemed far lower and did wonder if it was right, but keep checking it and very happy with cooler and case, followed guides on here and dl'ed the stuff and ran them, still cool :) so still very happy, give it time and something to push it and away from winter the temps might rise more.

Soldato
to be fair, rather than clock the whole CPU as a whole, tends to be better off clocking it a bit and then using a bunch of very aggressive Overdrive profiles for different situations, where you can maximise the strengths and try to minimise the weaknesses of the processors.

Caporegime
If you take Prime95 stability seriously Piledriver will drive you mad even with a high end cooler/watercooling, you'll struggle to get any sort of overclock whilst keeping temps in check under stress testing.

Caporegime
What temp does it shutdown/throttle at?

I've not witnessed a shutdown yet but I've seen throttling occur at just 4.6ghz and that was under water, there doesn't seem to be a way to cool the socket temp which skyrockets out of control under Prime95 testing. I have just been running it at stock since.

Caporegime
So, 60*C is fine, ?start throttling above that?, will shutdown at 90*C.

Yep AMD say 62C is the limit but that it has about 5C of head room anyway, so late 60s is probably when throttling starts to occur.

Not sure why it is so low for AMD when the die itself can cope with much hotter, if Intel had the same 62C limit their CPU's would be just as big a headache to cool/overclock. I think it's probably a result of recycling an old socket so much over the years.

Last edited:
Associate
The limit is due to the fact that AMD uses SOI technology for their CPUs, which is different from how the Intel ones are fabricated. It's harder to remove heat from the die with SOI.

Back
Top Bottom