• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i3 3220 vs fx 6300

Associate
what would be a better choice when building a new system?

obviously the i3 is slightly quicker in games at stock speed and has a good upgrade path

the fx 6300 can be overclocked

thanks for any advice

Associate
The FX-6300 seems to be all round faster than the 3220. If you have a £20 aftermarket cooler than 4.5GHz should be attainable on the FX-6300.

It depends if you'll feel the need to upgrade soon. A lot of people always say "well you can just buy X second hand in a few years to upgrade" except everyone thinks that, so it ends up in a few years time that the processors on Ebay don't end up any cheaper due to the slew of people with older motherboards.

You can see a comparison here, just look at what workloads you use and see which one is best:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/677?vs=699

Soldato
In lightly threaded games expect anything upto around a 10% to 20% improvement using the Core i3 and in multi-threaded games a 10% to 20% improvement for the FX6300.

Remember,the newer multi-platform engines such as Frostbite 2.0,id Tech 5,CryENGINE 3 and the upcoming UE4 are all going to be multi-threaded.

Hence it depends on what kind of games you are running.

When I was playing the Crysis3 MP Alpha it was really pushing my Core i3 2100(I have upgraded to a Xeon E3 now),so I think in the longterm the FX6300 probably would be a better choice,especially since you can overclock it a bit.

Soldato
it will just be for games - bf3, crysis etc

i will be upgrading from an am3 board with an athlon ii x2

What is your motherboard BTW??

I had a Core i3 2100 which was perfectly fine in many games with an HD5850 1GB. However,I noticed in the Crysis3 MP Alpha it was really being pushed and even in BL2,so I upgraded to a Xeon E3(basically a Core i5).

Those games you want to run use multi-threaded engines. BF3 uses Frostbite2.0 and Crysis 2 and 3,CryENGINE3. I would probably go for the FX6300 in this case.

Associate
OP
i have a foxconn am3 motherboard. i was planning on getting a phenom ii x4 965 and overclocking it however the bios is just terrible.

whats a decent low cost overclocking motherboard?

i was looking at the Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970A

Associate
i have a foxconn am3 motherboard. i was planning on getting a phenom ii x4 965 and overclocking it however the bios is just terrible.

whats a decent low cost overclocking motherboard?

i was looking at the Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970A

Given that it's on offer the board looks excellent. I'm running my 955 BE in a GA-770t-ud3 which is similar but not as good as that board, and it's quite happy with my 955BE @ 3.7GHz. I did have it running at 4GHz but my cooler wasn't quite up to task, so I doubt you'll run into power problems before you hit the cooling ceiling. Just make sure that your cooler keeps the VRM area cooled, you'll find many coolers that have a bent fin at the bottom to angle some air down at them.

Soldato
South890 can you set up your trust account?? I might be able to send you some useful information.

The Gigabyte 970A-DS3 looks a nice budget motherboard,although if you are looking for a huge overclock you probably need to go for a higher end motherboard.

Associate
would it be sensible to put a fx 6300 in a cheap £30 motherboard?

this would equal the price of an i3 3220 and a b75 motherboard.

Not really, besides I can't see much difference between the cost of the cheapest B75 at £52 and the DS3 at £53?? It's £10 if you choose the cheapest i3, which costs 10% less but is also 10% slower any way.

Caporegime
I'm thinking of selling my 1100t and buying a fx 6300 I mostly game, would this be a good move? As I've heard the 6300 oc well.....? :confused:

It's a rather pointless move.

Stock versus stock the 1100T and FX6300 trade blows, gaming wise it seems the FX6 might be better stock versus stock, but it's not mind blowing.
1100T's do about 4.2GHZ, can probably get 4.6-4.8GHZ on the FX63 so you'd increase the gap a bit, but it still wouldn't be an improvement in every area.

Soldato
Is the motherboard AM3+ BTW??
I don't think it will make a massive difference(unless it is WoW maybe),although it might be easier to push the FX6300 a bit more. On the famous auction site you are probably looking at £105 to £135 for a Phenom II X6 1100T.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a rather pointless move.

Stock versus stock the 1100T and FX6300 trade blows, gaming wise it seems the FX6 might be better stock versus stock, but it's not mind blowing.
1100T's do about 4.2GHZ, can probably get 4.6-4.8GHZ on the FX63 so you'd increase the gap a bit, but it still wouldn't be an improvement in every area.

I thought the newer tech 6300 mite be better? Plus an oc on it may make it better for gaming? Or should I get the 8350?

Caporegime
It might be newer tech, but they're not exactly setting the world alight.

Switch if you want, but it won't be a vast upgrade, clocked balls deep you'll elevate the bottleneck in most/some games.
BF3 can't imagine that seeing any difference at all, as there shouldn't be any bottleneck on a clocked 1100T.

Caporegime
Wouldn't have bought an AM3+ board, I assume you did so before AMD's Bulldozer launched, it's not like we expected them to be as bad as they were.

I'd stick with my 1100T until I could either afford an Intel set up (Or even wanted to go Intel) or waited for Steamroller.

If I was busting for an upgrade and wanted to stay AMD, I'd sell the 1100T and buy an 8320.

Back
Top Bottom