BlackGold’s BGT3620 dual-tuner Freeview HD card

Soldato
I really like that bit of kit, would it be possible to use it without using media center, any software alternative?

Tuners usually come with their own software but it's generally crap. Why not use Media Center if you running windows? as it's by far the slickest tuner software.

Associate
tbh I dont like it, I use Mediaportal for my htpc but I would be installing the card for my lab/shed and would rather have a program than an entire front end if you know what I mean..

Never utilised a tv tuner for the htpc mainly because I have my own archive and don't need telly on the htpc.

Maybe I should look into media center again.

I mainly want it for f1 hd this season:D

I note that Hauppaugge or however it's spelt lol have a usb version out as well, I know the BlackGold stuff is very good, how does it compare?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad these have finally started appearing, but I must continue to resist the urge to go ape and start my dream HTPC project. More important places for the money to go first.

But it's such a tease. :D
Tuners usually come with their own software but it's generally crap. Why not use Media Center if you running windows? as it's by far the slickest tuner software.

I have to admit that Media Center is pretty fine. This took me by surprise when I started using it for Freeview recording and the like. It was far superior to my old 'set top box'.

k3v

k3v

Associate
I bought one is these in December before I realised my tv area isn't switching over to t2 until later in the year! it comes in a nice box and is tiny, lovely bit of kit, shame I cant use it fully yet.

Associate
I can't comment on frview HD but I have a tv card in mediaportal and it workf flawlessley. The added benefit is that you need to set it up as a tv server. That means any other mediaportal client on networked computers can access it. So my htpc with tv card is in the living room but I can watch and control the tv stream from it on my bedroom pc if I also install mediaportal on it.

Soldato
The Hauppage/PCTV 290e USB DVB-T2 device is perfectly adequate for HD and costs half of the Blackgold. It's only got one tuner but then F1 is only on one channel at a time.

My Windows Media Center woke up my PC at 5am this morning and my 290e recorded the F1 while I slept and then I timeshifted when I got up at 7am.

Soldato
@Tealc

Thanks for that, would sit nicely along with my dual-DVB-T card inside the machine. Still a pretty big outlay for a single tuner device though! Can see it for £55, which is more or less the same as my Compro E700. Hopefully as stock finally grows, prices will come down a tad more. Still think I might treat myself!

What programmes are people really using these to watch besides the F1? Also, what HD channels are currently available on DVB-T2, and any more incoming?

Soldato
BBC one HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD and channel 4 HD (or the welsh channel for me). Quite limited I guess compared to satellite options. Not sure if more are planned but to be honest tge other channels are pants anyway.

I use it for F1, Top Gear and anything which we watch on normal channels covered by T2. Don't watch much really. I pipe it via hdmi from my pc. Don't have a htpc.

Soldato
One more channel is planned in the next few years but they can't really fit more than 4 on a multiplex as it is. Presumably one of the other 5 multiplexes will convert to DVB-T2 at some point to provide extra HD channels (at the expense of SD ones).

Soldato
Still covers most of the channels I watch, nice.

We're not allowed dishes where I live, so Freeview is really the only option for HD. There is Virgin Media as well, but I have other issues with them and the price is thoroughly uncompetitive as I'm unable to take their phone service.

Soldato
One more channel is planned in the next few years but they can't really fit more than 4 on a multiplex as it is. Presumably one of the other 5 multiplexes will convert to DVB-T2 at some point to provide extra HD channels (at the expense of SD ones).

Yeah I realised this was always going to be a problem with DVB-T2. The satellite option does look better (and will probably win out in the end because of this) but it's by far the cheapest way to get HD. That said, there are a lot of useless channels on freeview, a bit of a cull might be a good thing!

Soldato
I just ordered one this morning.

The tuner in my TV is knackered, so I had to make do with iPlayer's live streaming of the F1 via my HTPC - the quality was shocking :(

So - hopefully by the next GP I should have a nice twin-HD tuner in my HTPC :)

Associate
Have the people who ordered these got any more thoughts on them yet?
I've not got any experience of TV cards, but was thinking of getting one and using it as my main TV upstairs (system as sig).
Would this work ok? Would this be ok as a main TV?

Back
Top Bottom