• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Twin Frozr Gaming idles @ 51C

Associate
Hey guys.

Just installed my new Twin Frozr Gaming - its brilliant. Amazing card and ruins benchmarks.

One teency weency problem. It idles at 51C. Not even reference cards do that.

My Case is a Corsair C70 with 3 120mm AF120 Quiet Editions for airflow (2 front 1 rear). Im wondering if their low CFM is causing the issue here? The inside of my case is getting toasty.

Soldato
How many screens do you have attached to the card? If you're running more than 1, the card won't idle as low so idle temperatures will be higher than people running 1 screen. If just one screen, is it a high refresh rate one, which can have the same effect.

If just 1 screen, what does CCC or Afterburner report your idle clock and memory speeds at?

Edit: curse typing on my phone, beaten by keyboard users!

OcUK Staff
Hey guys.

Just installed my new Twin Frozr Gaming - its brilliant. Amazing card and ruins benchmarks.

One teency weency problem. It idles at 51C. Not even reference cards do that.

My Case is a Corsair C70 with 3 120mm AF120 Quiet Editions for airflow (2 front 1 rear). Im wondering if their low CFM is causing the issue here? The inside of my case is getting toasty.

51c idle is normal, its designed to be silent, so the fans will be close or at minimum.

If your unhappy with 51c idle then setup a manual fan curve or just set the fans to always say 60%, still pretty quiet and keep you cool.

Associate
OP
51c idle is normal, its designed to be silent, so the fans will be close or at minimum.

If your unhappy with 51c idle then setup a manual fan curve or just set the fans to always say 60%, still pretty quiet and keep you cool.

Fair enough. I've setup a custom fan profile, gonna have a play with it. It was on 18% speed to be honest so I completely understand, its still a monster GPU even at idle :p

Gonna try OCing it in a little while. How much do you think I can get out of it without flashing the ASUS BIOS?

Back
Top Bottom