How to obtain Windows 8.1 iso with Windows 8 OEM key.

Soldato
OP
I really dont know why people are moaning at this one. I did my 2 Windows 8 RT tablets and 2 Laptops in 2 hours. That was bang on launch day where the world and his wife have been downloading it.

Everytime I tried my iOS devices it would take all night to download. While its annoying this is the way every ones going.

I see your point. Getting 8.1 was a good experience.

But those with 8 OEM have a real PITA ahead of them if they want to rebuild their machine. Which I might do regular twice a year, and as needed in case of an OS failure for whatever reason.

I am hoping that the Windows Refresh option is as good as doing reinstalls, as I have now created a image using recimg.exe. 6gb of space on my SSD but never mind.

Soldato
Was trying to get this working on my wifey's laptop that shipped with Win 8 as standard.

First - got the key by using belarc advisor - see here: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html

Then got the ISO but it just will not accept the 'generic' key during install. The key someone has mentioned above is a PRO key - what we need is for it to accept a CORE key.

I gave up and just formated from a fresh then did a 8.1 upgrade the usual store way.

Anyways - found a way of bypassing the key altogether here: http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-skip-product-key-when-installing-windows-8/

I cba rebuilding the wife's laptop so someone could try the above (editing the ei.cfg file and using CORE as one of the parameters) - then stick their original windows 8 key back in. Please report back if you have success or not with this method as at some point I'll give it a go (time permitting)

Soldato
OP
not sure if i can post these here, but heres both 32/64bit windows 8.1 pro iso

Windows 8.1 Professional - English - X86 (32bit)

http://bit.ly/1d8CObb

Windows 8.1 Professional - English - X64 (64bit)

http://bit.ly/18zMKXU

What I am hoping is that I can edit the ei.cfg and then install without a key and then use my Windows 8 OEM key to activate.

Even when you are legally allowed to use their software they make it difficult. Are they trying to promote piracy?

Soldato
OP
What I am hoping is that I can edit the ei.cfg and then install without a key and then use my Windows 8 OEM key to activate.

Even when you are legally allowed to use their software they make it difficult. Are they trying to promote piracy?

This didn't work for me in the end. I tried the iso linked above and on boot it tells me the product key doesn't match the installation media.

I don't believe my uefi bios should have any key installed in it. As it is a home built machine.

guess Us oem folk will have to live with a long winded reinstall if ever needed.

Soldato
Im confused I done a windows update last night but didnt see anything related to updating to 8.1, how do I check? Is it really worth updating, seem a right pain!

Omg! You had to manually run a windows update. What a pain that must have been. How about trying to look in the right place for a start...... i.e. Windows store not Windows update

Lol ;)

Soldato
In answer to your question, yes it is worth it. Make sure you're bang up to date with Windows updates and then it should appear in the store.

And on topic, my life would be so much easier if 8.1 accepted 8.0 keys. This is way more difficult than it needed to be.

Soldato
Why have they done it this way though? Surely 8.1 is just an update?

To be honest, I don't know. I'm sure there is a rationale but equally Microsoft are capable of boneheaded decisions sometimes.

It can't be as trivial as directing people to the store; you don't even need a Microsoft account to upgrade.

Soldato
To be honest, I don't know. I'm sure there is a rationale but equally Microsoft are capable of boneheaded decisions sometimes.

It can't be as trivial as directing people to the store; you don't even need a Microsoft account to upgrade.

Thank goodness! I would have been really ticked off if that had been the case!

Back
Top Bottom