Azhar Ahmed

Man of Honour
Interesting perspective, but I don't think it's a very sensible way to go about protecting someone and even so, only the most unreasonable of unreasonable people would want to do more to him that bop him on the nose for his silly comment.

I think you underestimate the stupidity of the general populace.

Had the Police not intervened and effectively placed him under house arrest I am convinced Dewsbury would be mourning the loss of another life.

Tensions are bad enough as it is.

Man of Honour
Interesting perspective, but I don't think it's a very sensible way to go about protecting someone and even so, only the most unreasonable of unreasonable people would want to do more to him that bop him on the nose for his silly comment.

I imagine the likes of the EDL would do a bit more than 'bop him on the nose'. There are plenty of dangerous and extremely unreasonable people out there and given his name and likely skin colour... they wouldn't need much encouragement.

Soldato
Let's put some perspective on this. There was an outpouring of affection and emotion in his locale, because that's where the soldiers were originally from. At least two of them lived in Mr Ahmed's home town.

The Police were called in to protect him from the public after he'd posted what he did. They had to be seen to be doing something, else he would have just been targeted on release. It may well still happen.

Rubbish.

If it was for his own protection then they wouldn't have arrested him for a racially agrevated public order offence (whatever one of those is!). The police stated that he was arrested because of how he said what he said.

Permabanned
I am far from being right wing, thank you. But as above to post that on facebook (whether worse has been said before or not) is sheer stupidity and hatred. I will say though I have seen people posting about pakistani and afghan people with pure racial hatred and nothing has been done about it, so I guess this guy was unlucky to be made a point off.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If enough people complain about it then it seems to become a criminal issue and the law jumps in.

Facebook is full of stupid people.

Even more stupid people who post stuff like that publicly.

How much time and money is going to be wasted over this week's Facebook incident I wonder.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Being stupid isn't a crime.

Exactly.

Apply a small fine, ban his account perhaps but criminal proceedings? Might as well cuff up everyone else on Facebook that posts something distasteful too then.

It's a waste of time and resources. Neither of which we have spare these days.

Man of Honour
What a moron. He deserves everything he gets.

The 8 people who liked it should have the book thrown at them as well. ;)

thumbsupv.gif

Soldato
OP
I think you underestimate the stupidity of the general populace.

Had the Police not intervened and effectively placed him under house arrest I am convinced Dewsbury would be mourning the loss of another life.

Tensions are bad enough as it is.

That is still not justification for applying the law incorrectly.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Tbh your stupid yourself if you think stupidity was the only thing wrong with his post.

Are you referring to my post? Yes it was a stupid and distasteful Facebook post from that guy, but it's no different to most of the other things the young and attention-whoring people post on there anyway. My point is if he's going to be charged with a racial offence then so should everyone else who posts such things.

Also, it's you're.

Man of Honour
Rubbish.

If it was for his own protection then they wouldn't have arrested him for a racially agrevated public order offence (whatever one of those is!). The police stated that he was arrested because of how he said what he said.

You can call it rubbish if you wish, I live within 3 miles of Mr Ahmed and know the area well.

He was under house arrest, he's been shifted out of the county for his protection, and although I dislike the fact that he's been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence he should be charged with a public order offence (I just don't think race should be brought into it, unless there is something further that we don't know about).

I remain convinced that if something official isn't done about him some knuckle-dragger will do it instead.

What a well rounded, sensible argument. Instead of discussing the topic, lets just call anyone who disagrees with you stupid. Far better!

:rolleyes:

Again, putting the boot on the other foot, we'll just brand any post that doesn't agree with you as rubbish :)

Permabanned
Are you referring to my post? Yes it was a stupid and distasteful Facebook post from that guy, but it's no different to most of the other things the young and attention-whoring people post on there anyway. My point is if he's going to be charged with a racial offence then so should everyone else who posts such things.

Also, it's you're.

Woah, was waiting for a grammar check on thread.

You know it's impossible to catch everyone who commits a crime and he isn't the first to be charged over posting something on Facebook.

Soldato
You can call it rubbish if you wish, I live within 3 miles of Mr Ahmed and know the area well.

He was under house arrest, he's been shifted out of the county for his protection, and although I dislike the fact that he's been charged with a racially aggravated public order offence he should be charged with a public order offence (I just don't think race should be brought into it, unless there is something further that we don't know about).

I remain convinced that if something official isn't done about him some knuckle-dragger will do it instead.

Sounds very much like village gossip. Until you have some proof that this has happened, I very much doubt it.
What law did they use to put him under house arrest? Sure, the Terrorism Act can do it but I doubt that would wash.
He could be tagged I suppose, but I doubt he's had time to have a trial yet.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Woah, was waiting for a grammar check on thread.

You know it's impossible to catch everyone who commits a crime and he isn't the first to be charged over posting something on Facebook.

What were you expecting? A medal? If you call me stupid then I will mock your lack of writing ability.

Man of Honour
Sounds very much like village gossip. Until you have some proof that this has happened, I very much doubt it.
What law did they use to put him under house arrest? Sure, the Terrorism Act can do it but I doubt that would wash.
He could be tagged I suppose, but I doubt he's had time to have a trial yet.

He goes to trial on the 20th.

The house arrest was for his protection. You could see the cordon from a long way away and I was stopped and questioned on the main road on my way to footy.

Back
Top Bottom