MK5 Golf GT TDi 2.0 - Battery problems (see inside for info)

Soldato
Hi all,

I know the cold weather is settling in, my car has all of a sudden is having issues if its left for more than 8 hours or more.

I am having to bump every morning to it going, if you try and start it there is some charge there but that slowly fades, I have been fine when leaving work at night if I have been on lunch, but there was one instance where it didnt go on lunch, and when I left work that evening it wouldnt start.

I know this is likely to be caused by an old battery and the colder weather, however there could also be drainage problems too.

I took it to halfords as I was passing today and got them to do a free battery check on it, they attached the device to the battery, run the test, asked me to turn on my headlamps, then turn them off again, then he said that it looks like something is draining my battery.

as far as I can tell there are no lights/or anything on when I lock the car - Could this still be a weak battery, or something else?

Not sure where to go from here, to be perfectly honest I have never taken a car to be battery tested before, I have always found it was weak, and replaced, so not sure how accurate these tests are.

Shall I just get a new battery, or get it investigated?

Soldato
Just get a new battery, job done :) How can some dude who gets paid min wage diagnose you have something draining your battery? Could he not be specific?

He'd be in a better paid job if he knew what he was on about with motors...

Associate
Just get a new battery, job done :) How can some dude who gets paid min wage diagnose you have something draining your battery? Could he not be specific?

He'd be in a better paid job if he knew what he was on about with motors...

Surely he had some sort of training from his employer if he was the one going out to the car to check the battery..? :confused: Pay doesn't seem relevant.

Soldato
OP
he couldnt be specific but thats what the readout on the handheld device "apparently" determined.

Not sure how accurate or what these handheld testers are like, and what they can "tell"

New battery then?

Soldato
You need to find a garage who can perform a 'Parasitic draw test'

It's either a something draining the car overnight, or a knackered battery.

Soldato
OP
I am starting to think it could have something to do with an alarm, I know my alarm doesnt work properly (audio wise), when I used to lock and let the alarm set, the door led used to blink, when I set it at the moment, it blinks, then stays on (static).

Not sure of this has anything to do with but pretty much remember it blinking.

Then again I could be completely wrong

Sent a message to a guy I know who owns garage to see if I can get it checked

Last edited:
Associate
The alarm problem will be a faulty alarm siren, very common on the mk5 golf. Have you got the standard stereo in the car? If it is an aftermarket unit or even a, OEM unit form one of the later cars it will cause battery drain if your car is a pre 2007 car due to having the wrong CAN gateway.

How old is you battery it might be worth changing it anyway if its quite old as cold starts in the morning will use the glow plugs which uses a fair bit of power from the battery.

Soldato
OP
Had it tested properly this morning, it charges ok, but as soon as the engine is switched off, you can see the charge dropping straight away.

Going to order a new one today.

Back
Top Bottom