Kerbal Space Program

Soldato
Cheers for that seannoog^^:)

I'll try a better design tomorrow, may just start again.

I think I'll keep the current design, but use some more engines in the middle and also use some radials on the engine on the underside of the Wong so I can get rid of them after takeoff.

Associate
Cheers for that seannoog^^:)

I'll try a better design tomorrow, may just start again.

I think I'll keep the current design, but use some more engines in the middle and also use some radials on the engine on the underside of the Wong so I can get rid of them after takeoff.

Your welcome.
I am happy to share designs, through collaberation, we can make better designs then.
Beside's some of my crafts have recieved inspiration from other members designs.

To clarify, my last post didn't make the best english.
Moving your wings as far back as possible behing the engines alters the crafts centre of gravity, an almost completely eliminates ships flipping backwards.
Its makes taking off interesting, you have to get the craft upto speed (varies depending on wing area an weight) then gently pull back, aiming to get your nose up, eventually with enough speed it glides off the ground.. :)

Any members got some good tip bits for me.
Wont be until version. 17, that plane parts get there attributes changed.
Really excited for latest build..

Man of Honour
Thanks for the tips guys - haven't played this in ages and space planes are new to me. I absolutely love them though. Before I finished last night I put a rocket in orbit which was fun - have a load of stages left too. Quick question...how do I get it to save the flight? I think I ended the flight by accident, so it isn't still in orbit :(

Soldato
Try putting solid boosters on the opposite side that it flips to in order to combat the flipping, then use radials to get rid of them later once stability has been found.
Solid boosters wouldn't work for what I want at all. For a start they'd be far too powerful and more importantly would stop what I'm trying to achieve! (a jet vtol that is entirely re-usable, and can turn the engines horizontally for plane flight)
I'll get a picture up later!

Captainrave: Rather then pressing end flight, just hit space centre. You'll then be able to jump back to it. I made this mistake over and over until I eventually realised what I was doing!

Associate
Thanks for the tips guys - haven't played this in ages and space planes are new to me. I absolutely love them though. Before I finished last night I put a rocket in orbit which was fun - have a load of stages left too. Quick question...how do I get it to save the flight? I think I ended the flight by accident, so it isn't still in orbit :(

KSP for me, is a game I cant stop returning too.
With new updates ever 1-2 months, I cant help myself playing with the latest features or browsing there forum.

Too help:
Always press return to Space Centre. (Return to VAB/SPH or End Flight, all terminate your mission.)

There is a few clauses that wont allow the game to save.
Any craft still speeding up (RCS Actice, ASAS Active, Engines Active)
Any craft below 70KM (70000Meters Po/Pe)

Man of Honour
Thanks for all the tips guys :)

A nice simple design to get me into orbit. Only used the first stage :)

The connectors make things much easier now - certainly stop all of the rockets trying to pull themselves apart!

Soldato
I really can't get the hang of building space planes... for some reason I couldn't attach control surfaces properly when I tried last night, wonder if it's me being stupid or just a bug. I struggle to make anything stable as well.

Man of Honour

My best one yet - got up to 18000, but then it lost power. Managed a successful water landing though :D

These planes are difficult to control with the keyboard!

Man of Honour
Finally got my first space plane out of the atmosphere - problem is I then lost control, so need to work on my control systems in space. Had plenty of fuel to achieve orbit though (if I could have controlled it) - having the avionics package helped get out of the atmosphere (but not sure it helped much in space?).

Anyway, here she is:

Associate
CaptainRAVE, if you plan on taking your flying seriously within KSP.
You have to invest in a joystick, doesn't have too be Gold plated, with 100 buttons.
Just Pitch, Yaw, Role, Throttle an 4-8 Buttons £30 will do it justice.

PS, I still prefare WASDQE for my rockets.. Dont know why.

Good rocket design, simular but different too mine.
Any thoughts on how you will improve it?
Whats its Specs?
(Speed at 100M, 1000M, 10000M) is always a great indicator on its performance.

Soldato
Captainrave - is that stable flight at 18000m/s? Nicely done if so. Don't think I've managed a normal plane that *flies* that high. Pitched up with rock engines burning doesn't count imo!

Personally I use an xbox360 pad. Works fine for the meantime. Will dig my joystick out of the loft at some point...

Soldato
Nice I have an old joystick that I used to use for FS... I could use that :D

Edit: Hopefully I should have this tomorrow evening :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Captainrave - is that stable flight at 18000m/s? Nicely done if so. Don't think I've managed a normal plane that *flies* that high. Pitched up with rock engines burning doesn't count imo!

Personally I use an xbox360 pad. Works fine for the meantime. Will dig my joystick out of the loft at some point...

Not speed sorry, height. Got it higher and stable, but it then went a little crazy.

I can use the 360 pad? Sweet, might hook that up.

Was aiming for the Mun and somehow ended up in orbit around the star (can't remember its name!).

Need to work more on my space planes, I love them :D

Edit: My record with this space plane before I ran out of fuel (managed to keep her stable too - seems to be important to control how quickly they accelerate as they get higher):

Last edited:
Soldato
Let's see if i can make this fly....

v301.jpg

EDIT:
v302engingeson.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Not speed sorry, height. Got it higher and stable, but it then went a little crazy.

I can use the 360 pad? Sweet, might hook that up.

I meant height not speed! Fair play if so, will have to compare to the ones I've done but don't think I've managed stable flight that height - although it's not really been my aim. I've not managed to make a plane go that fast in atmo as much as I wish I had! :D

Has anyone made a plane that can fly around the planet? I can get about 1/2 the way and not return home...or 1/4 and be able to return safely.
Where do you want to draw the line at plane? Is going into space and orbiting around cheating? :p

Back
Top Bottom