Can't get rid of mysearchdial permanently!!

Associate
This is driving me bonkers!! mysearchdial (browser hijacker) keeps on starting a separate tab pointing at itself when I start chrome.

I am not sure how this infected my PC (win 8 running kaspersky and Chrome) but I thought I could get rid of it quickly enough.

A quick check online and I did the following

removed it from programs
removed it from extensions
Run spybot search and destroy
ccleaner
kaspersky virus checker
malwarebytes anti-malware
adwcleaner

adwclearner finds the little blighter and tells me there is a url which is being restored on start up, so when I start chrome I get a separate tab for mysearchdial. Even when I remove with adwcleaner and restart the machine all seems well, in fact I used Chrome all day to day working from home until 5 mins ago, when, bang, it starts again when starting chrome.

Any idea how to remove permanently???
Thanks

Soldato
Right Click on your Chrome shortcut and click properties. Check the Target entry and make sure there are no switches which are launching the page.

It should read:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"

With nothing else added. Change Drive/path to suit your install.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. The target profile looks to be correct.

I have been doing a bit of a test. If I remove mysearchdial using adwcleaner and reboot my machine I am logged out of google chrome, it is no longer linked automatically with my email. If I don't log in, mysearchdial doesn't reappear. When I log back in, bang, there it is. So its clearly something to do with the google profile. Any more thoughts?

Associate
OP
Deleting chrome is my next step.

I tried rolling back using system restore - still there!
Just logged onto to my work machine which has chrome installed and its even there!!!

This has to be something to do with the Chrome profile!!

Associate
OP
got it! well d brennen did! If I put chrome://settings/startup into Chrome it recorded mysearchdial there, I removed it and job done. Thank you.

Is it likely to be lurking on the machine elsewhere?

Soldato
Nah, it's not exactly a browser hijack either, it just set a homepage really. It's a useful feature of Chrome to be able to open several tabs/sites on startup. Saves me plenty of seconds here and there, which all adds up. Shame not enough people know about it, like you! ;)

Just to be sure, update and run MBAM once more

Back
Top Bottom