• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Possible GTX 670 release on 10th May

Associate
I'm really thinking hard about the choice I make now. I want something above the mid-range cards this time round since I can afford it, but I'm going nowhere near the 680/7970's due to price and so it has to be the 7950 or 670. I'm tempted to nab a 7950 this weekend but I'll wait until the 670 is announced, have a few comparisons and then I'll make a decision.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Problem with the 7950, is it is currently priced to close to the 7970, you might a well get one of those.

The 7950 should be where the 7870 is and the 7870 should be around 7850 prices...

The only two 7000 series cards, priced logially is the 7850 and the 7970, everything in between is too close to each other.

Associate
I'm really thinking hard about the choice I make now. I want something above the mid-range cards this time round since I can afford it, but I'm going nowhere near the 680/7970's due to proce and so it has to be the 7950 or 670. I'm tempted to nab a 7950 this weekend but I'll wait until the 670 is announced, have a few comparisons and then I'll make a decision.

i'm in the same boat..but if the 670's are announced and correctly priced. i think 2x 670 ti at £300 each would make for a very good buy and sli setup £600 for that performance would rock..especially considering the highest custom 680's are nearer to £600

Soldato
price price price, so it's more powerful than the 7950/ 580.... but less so than the 680....... ok so it's fine...

but what is the price ?.... because if it's around 400 quid than it's a waste of time, because that custom 7970 is about 385 quid here

Last edited:
Soldato
i'm in the same boat..but if the 670's are announced and correctly priced. i think 2x 670 ti at £300 each would make for a very good buy and sli setup £600 for that performance would rock..especially considering the highest custom 680's are nearer to £600

You wont get the 670 for 300 quid no way, it's only 10% slower than the 680; so it's similar to the 7970
try 360 to 400 quid.

things are getting interesting though, i've got my eye on those dual cards as well... but probably too expensive and not needed

Last edited:
Soldato
You wont get the 670 for 300 quid no way, it's only 10% slower than the 680; so it's similar to the 7970
try 360 to 400 quid.

things are getting interesting though, i've got my eye on those dual cards as well... but probably too expensive and not needed

the 680 is already 400 quid, so they'd be loony to price it the same... going off historical price differences from top to next one down (e.g. release prices on 580 and 570), the 670 should be under £350

(580 released at 400 and 570 £289)

it won't be cheaper than the CURRENT price of 580, but 580 is going EOL so the prices around on that now are dumping stock prices - just like you could get a 580 2nd hand for a fraction of the price if you wanted to go that route

Soldato
the 680 is already 400 quid, so they'd be loony to price it the same... going off historical price differences from top to next one down (e.g. release prices on 580 and 570), the 670 should be under £350

(580 released at 400 and 570 £289)

it won't be cheaper than the CURRENT price of 580, but 580 is going EOL so the prices around on that now are dumping stock prices - just like you could get a 580 2nd hand for a fraction of the price if you wanted to go that route

yes plus the 580s i also saw for *** quid were brand new !!!!!:eek:

if the GTX 670 is 350 quid then it's interesting, because then it's less than the 7970

Soldato
Oh please come around soon, and please be cheaper than a 580 :)

I'd be happy with 275 as a nice price point for these xD Alternatively I guess I'll wait until the 580s fall further. Got a couple of months before I have to make a decision.

kd

Soldato
yes plus the 580s i also saw for 240 quid were brand new !!!!!:eek:

if the GTX 670 is 350 quid then it's interesting, because then it's less than the 7970

But do you think it will be faster than a 7970?

I can't see it. There's pretty much nothing in it now, let alone cutting down a GPU and hoping for the best.

Whatever they are releasing I can promise you it won't be cheap. They are having wafer shortage problems are there is still no stocks of the 680 in the USA so coming up with more models you can't stock is pure stupidity.

That's probably why rumours are going around that there isn't going to be a cheap Kepler this generation. Makes sense too, because cutting out cores and disabling features doesn't count for squat. You still need wafers to do that to and the fact they don't have any says it all.

Any wafers they do get their hands on certainly won't be used for making cheap cards to appeal to Barry Budget. They will be there to throw onto cards and sell for lots of money.

Oh please come around soon, and please be cheaper than a 580 :)

I'd be happy with 275 as a nice price point for these xD Alternatively I guess I'll wait until the 580s fall further. Got a couple of months before I have to make a decision.

kd

I don't think we have seen the end of the 580 yet. Nor the 570 or 560ti for that matter.

Nvidia obviously have plenty of them left, so fitting them into their current line up for sale is very clever.

Funny really. In the space of a month the 580 has become a card that no one deems worth having, yet two months ago it was Nvidia's flagship card and trading blows with the 7950. It's still more than worth having. Come to think of it, so are the high end 400 series. They still do everything a GPU is supposed to do with what it has to hand.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the 680 will be slightly slower than a 7970.... not sure.

oh yes the GTX 580 is definitely worth having at 240 quid, but not from the places that sell it.... i.e Hong kong, SO YOU JUST CANT WIN :cool:

what we will have is way too many cards of similar performance, so something has to give and it is already..... AMD are dropping their prices first, i said this would happen didn't i.....``dont buy now, wait till August``

but it's tempting to get that 7970 right now, but if i do i might get upset if i prefer the 670 in two weeks time, so i'm deffo going to wait... August is too close now and there are no new games that i fancy playing yet, so i've nothing to loose waiting have i

Soldato
Well, I'm looking to buy around June/July/August time.

I want a card with a specific cooler. Will have to wait to see what prices do, but I'm hoping either a decent price on the 670, or if a 660 genuinely will compete with a 580, a nice price on that. I've got a 480 atm, and want to upgrade due to heat/noise, and I just can't accept 'downgrading' to a new card... hence why I'm looking for 580+ performance, if only I'd bought something smaller in the first place I could happily upgrade to a 570 xD

kd

Soldato
But do you think it will be faster than a 7970?

I can't see it. There's pretty much nothing in it now, let alone cutting down a GPU and hoping for the best.

Whatever they are releasing I can promise you it won't be cheap. They are having wafer shortage problems are there is still no stocks of the 680 in the USA so coming up with more models you can't stock is pure stupidity.

That's probably why rumours are going around that there isn't going to be a cheap Kepler this generation. Makes sense too, because cutting out cores and disabling features doesn't count for squat. You still need wafers to do that to and the fact they don't have any says it all.

Any wafers they do get their hands on certainly won't be used for making cheap cards to appeal to Barry Budget. They will be there to throw onto cards and sell for lots of money.

*sigh*

670 is 680 chips that don't fully work that they fuse off 1 SM and make work as best they can... typically they will also be much more variable in overclocking as well, so basically these are chips that they either chuck in the bin OR sell as 670's

they absolutely won't be taking "good" 680's and then cutting them down JUST to sell them to people too cheap to buy a 680

Soldato
*sigh*

670 is 680 chips that don't fully work that they fuse off 1 SM and make work as best they can... typically they will also be much more variable in overclocking as well, so basically these are chips that they either chuck in the bin OR sell as 670's

they absolutely won't be taking "good" 680's and then cutting them down JUST to sell them to people too cheap to buy a 680

that doesn't sound good at all !!!! :eek:

bru

bru

Soldato
It's standard practice you nearly always get two or three cards from one chip, sometimes even four cards from one chip eg: 590, 580, 570 and the 560:448 they are all from the same chip just binned differently. AMD do exactly the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom