Appling collinite 476 wax?

Associate
Hi there.

I was wondering if this wax you can leave on for a few hours and then polish, like over night then polish the next day. Would rainfall mess it up if I did this? I have never applied a wax before so am not quite sure on how soon you are meant to polish after applying.

Also, when some people say they apply 2-3 coats do they mean they apply then polish, apply then polish, apply then polish or just apply 3 individual coats one after the other as soon as the 1st has dried?

Thanks

Michael

Soldato
When you say polish, do you mean buff off?

Assuming you do, you only need to apply Collinite in thin layers, if you lay it on thick it will be a cow to remove. Only leave it for ~5mins before buffing off, for the same reason. If the weather is warm, I'd leave it for less than 5 mins also.

If you're layering up coats, then apply and buff off. Leave for at least a few hours, preferably a day before applying another coat and buffing off.

Soldato
polish? you mean buff off?

and when people apply multiple coats, yes they mean apply a coat, buff off, apply another, buff again etc...

if you don't have a garage just apply the wax to a panel at a time then buff off. if you can't do it all in the one day, carry on the next.

Associate
i was told about 12 hours to allow the wax to fully cure before applying a new layer.

also if you read the instructions on the bottom of the tin it says to leave till it hazes over then buff off, no point in leaving longer. as above also the trick with was is nice thin layers.

Associate
I find if you leave 476 for too long it takes some serious elbow grease to remove - especially in sunlight!

Your best bet is to apply a coat, remove and repeat the following day. Make sure you keep the coats thin though - less is more with this wax. :)

Associate
Also like the liquid version of 476, known as 'Insulator Wax'. Find it good for alloys, as an alternative to a wax specifically for wheels.

Can I also suggest you give Bilt-Hamber Autobalm a try?

(But not until you've tried all the Mequiar products from OC UK, of course ;) )

Back
Top Bottom