System build guide

Soldato
Static damage is subtle and often ignored. A valid compromise is turning the bag inside out, though I tend to sit the board on the box it came in.

Anyone know how we actually get this stickied? My best guess is report it to a mod, but this doesn't seem right somehow

Didn't know the positive wires were marked on the front panel headers, cheers

Soldato
Static damage is subtle and often ignored. A valid compromise is turning the bag inside out, though I tend to sit the board on the box it came in.

I use a folded down Budweiser box (tradition now) – it has the added bonus of giving me an excuse to buy a crate when i do a build.
Anyone know how we actually get this stickied? My best guess is report it to a mod, but this doesn't seem right somehow

I'm not sure - but i suspect relevancy to 'forum title' coupled with popular demand are probably the biggest criteria to fulfil -and it appears to be achieving this.

What do you reckon Admiral Hubby - worth a quiet word in the ear of the Dons? ;)

Soldato
Thanks for the guide.

I have a question, how do you remove thermal paste which is already applyed to the CPU Cooler when it's bought? And when you apply new thermal paste such as Arctic 5 Silver, I've seen on some guides you need to spread it yourself but you said not to?

Soldato
Thanks for the guide.

I have a question, how do you remove thermal paste which is already applyed to the CPU Cooler when it's bought?

You'll find that this link will answer all your questions - with lots of solutions to the same problem.

And when you apply new thermal paste such as Arctic 5 Silver, I've seen on some guides you need to spread it yourself but you said not to?

Go to the Arctic silver site and follow their instructions link - usually a single pea sized blob in the centre of the CPU and seating the HS on top is all you need to do (with a minor twist in both dorections when it's fitted.) Or if it's a quad core a very thin line down the middle of the CPU and then repeat as above. (it's all there in the link.)

You can pre-spread the gunk (very thinly) over the CPU, if you want to, using a bit of cling film over your finger but with modern paste development and advised application this is becoming less and less the norm.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the guide.

I have a question, how do you remove thermal paste which is already applyed to the CPU Cooler when it's bought? And when you apply new thermal paste such as Arctic 5 Silver, I've seen on some guides you need to spread it yourself but you said not to?

You can buy arctic cleaner which is a citrus based cleaner and helps disolve the paste, then you wipe it off with a lint free cloth.

Some people spread the paste out. I personally don't bother and have had more success without spreading it out. The paste seems to find its own level and spread out edge to edge its self under the pressure of the cooler.

Permabanned
Yeah looks really good mate, as others have said well done for taking time and effort to produce it, I thought about trying to do one for trouble shooting, a similar basic dummies guide sort of thing, as theres certain things that always seem to be the cause, but I dont have your patience, lol, even though it'd prob be less work trying to do one big post and hope for a sticky rather than repeating myself hundred times, lol
gj

Associate
Thanks for the guide. Am looking into building my first computer in 2 or so months and was a bit hesitant as it sounds a lot more compicated than it is. Will definitely be using this guide.

Associate
I've been involved in IT for a long time so not necessarily applicable for me but a great walkthrough for me to refer friends to. It's good when people take the time and effort to do things like this :) cheers!

Associate
As others have said its a great guide and one I will be using when I build my 1st set up but I have a few newb questions if anyone has some answers.

My build will almost certainly have two hard drives, one solid state one standard. How would this be connected. Is it as simple as plugging each in to different ports on the board?

The same question goes for other additional drives, Blue ray etc. is it simply plug and play?

How do you work out what size PSU you need and does modular mean it will almost certainly have enough power slots for expansion (or does modular mean its a steady power supply)?

Sorry if these are slightly simple questions. Its threads like this and the responces I have read throughout these forums that are giving me the confidence to self build. That and looking at the Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case. God its stunning.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My build will almost certainly have two hard drives, one solid state one standard. How would this be connected. Is it as simple as plugging each in to different ports on the board?

The same question goes for other additional drives, Blue ray etc. is it simply plug and play?
Yes, just plug them into the SATA II ports. Then when installing the OS, windows will give you the option on to which hard drive you want the OS on.

How do you work out what size PSU you need

There a few psu calculator websites where you put in what you are getting and it gives you the wattage required. But for a single graphics card and a few drives, 500-600w is plenty. Its better to have say a 400w decent brand psu over a 500w cheapy. Im running a E8500, 4gb ram, SSD, 320gb normal HD, and a 8800gt 512mb and I only draw 150w max under load and 105w idle.

and does modular mean it will almost certainly have enough power slots for expansion (or does modular mean its a steady power supply)?

Not sure what you mean by the last bit but yes, modular will usually have enough power outs for different things. Just look at the spec of it and it will say what and how many cables types it comes with. Basically modular is the same as a normal PSU apart from you only connect to the PSU the power cables you will need.

Last edited:
Associate
This is good. Well done.

One small point - I found the transition between bolting all the kit together to installing the OS a little abrupt. Perhaps it might be worth adding something to cover first power up? This is the most frightening moment for beginners.

Associate
Is there a guide to the bootup of a new build as in what is selected in bios to boot 1st 2nd and so on as im going to have a go at my first build in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom