The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Associate
They replace 780, not 780Ti. ;)

Performance wise, my lips are sealed on how it compares to 780Ti, but of course 980 is quicker than 780 for sure!

I could really do with knowing soon! :)

My basket at OCUK totals £2000 at the moment with a 780Ti, I'm just waiting to hear from the 980 before placing my order! :)

Associate
They replace 780, not 780Ti. ;)

Performance wise, my lips are sealed on how it compares to 780Ti, but of course 980 is quicker than 780 for sure!

If I sign a 0 hour employment contract with OcUK but don't actually work any hours so you don't have to pay me, can you then tell me as I'm an employee? ;)

Associate
Unfortunately I’ve developed a problem with the Swift. At 144Hz the text has started to become ‘blurry’. The best way I've been able to reproduce the problem is by displaying a horizontal line on the screen (1 px tall). What I've noticed is that on each alternate line, the contrast of the line reduces along the width of the screen. From about 1/3 of the way across the contrast is almost nothing. This then repeats apx every alternate line, resulting in a 'blurry' text appearance on anything displayed on the right hand side of the screen. By reducing the refresh rate from 144 Hz to 60 Hz, the 'reduced contrast' effect turns into a flickering effect.

My displaying a grey background I’ve been able to take a photograph which hopefully highlights the issue.

9i5DKIW.jpg

I’ve tried different DP cables and connected the monitor to both my desktop and Alienware and reproduce the same result. If I don’t connect the monitor to a PC, disconnect the power and then power it up again – I can see the horizontal lines on the ROG splash screen and on the red border of the ‘No Connection’ message. In other words this seems to be a hardware issue.

The issue also seems to present in this post; http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ft-PG278Q-Blurry-text-and-bad-quality-overall

For a £700 monitor this kinda sucks! :( ASUS can’t RMA it because they have no stock, guess I’ll need to send it back to Overclockers.

Just leaving this message in case someone else comes across this issue in the future.

Just developed this exact same fault after playing wow for a bit.
Had gsync on and was on 144 mode. See the lines on the red 'no signal' box when no cables plugged in so doesn't look good!

Associate
All the time unfortunately. After reseating cable it did briefly go away but cam back with a vengeance. Seems to start on right and work its way across until the whole screen has it.

Tried turning off GSYNC, SLI, dropping refresh and res (makes it more noticeable!).

Also get it when cable not plugged in and you have that red square, no signal, note. Think she's a goner. Started just after playing WoW for first time in ages, serves me right. Apparently this game does something odd so gsync doesn't work (read it somewhere - maybe be 2nd hand BS)? Hope it didn't fry the board or something odd like that.

Putting in an RMA, will see how it goes. Not from the good folks here tho.

Edit:
Should clarify, I was playing Wow and alt tabbing out a lot. Wonder, since gsync doesn't work when in windowed mode if some weird combo of events borked it?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have two problems:

1) ULMB is permanently greyed out for me no matter what refresh rate I select.
2) If I use 144Hz I get insane flickering all over the screen.

Graphics card is a R9 290X.

1) ULMB is an Nvidia-specific feature and doesn't work on AMD GPUs

2) Known issue. AMD GPUs don't seem to like going above 120Hz on this monitor. Some don't seem to like going above 85Hz.

Soldato
Besides all the other goodies this monitor offers, anyone tried 3dvision in 1440p and care to throw some feedback my way?

Just scrubbed my order on the Acer 4k.

Soldato
I'll give trine 2 a go in 3D when I get a chance, never played many hrs but was a gorgeous game.

I'm running user mode, rgb all at 100, brightnes 24 and game 0.89 in nv control panel.

I'm a bit underwhelmed with desktop colours are people running digital vibrance?

Need to try a fame next is crysis 3 or wolfenstein good for gsync?

Thought I had a pixel stuck on black but the lightest of touches seems to have fixed it phew:)

Backlight distribution is average i would say and no gross bleed.

Light in motion is cool and will keep the panel on its stand instead of my ergotron arm.

Sure looks like a nice monitor.

Soldato
Ok I was browsing high res wallpapers thinking yeh these colours look nice...then realised they look amazing compared to my prev Benq!

Had a quick bash on crysis 3 all maxed but no AA and pushed 1903mb V-ram.

Seemed smooth enough but am knackered and eyes are not wanting to game right now.

Nice having a lot more desktop real-estate:)

Back
Top Bottom