Does your university cap resits at the pass mark, or give you zero?

Associate
might sound a bit harsh but if you fail a whole year should you really expect a 2:1?

They may have just messed up some of the exams. Thankfully I was fine this year but last year I went into two exams and my memory blanked on me. I could barely answer anything despite the exam being on exactly what I had studied the most.

I'm pretty sure it's 40% here aswell although I have a small feeling it may be 0. Strathclyde.

Soldato
OP
might sound a bit harsh but if you fail a whole year should you really expect a 2:1?

I should expect a 2:1, if I accept that I messed up in my second year, take my resits in August, and then come back in the third year, and work a lot more than someone who is just aiming to get a 60% 2:1. I needed an average of around 65/66 this year to scrape a 2:1, which I achieved.

My punishment for messing up my second year is surely the fact that my 2:1 grade boundary was effectively pushed up to 65%, and that I had to come back in August to resit. To then add to that that my punishment is that I can no longer get a 2:1 (unless you deem an average of 80% do-able in an Economic degree) seems ridiculous.

The undergraduate handbook says:

"Marks obtained in year II resits are used for progression purposes but
are not used in the calculation of averages for degree classification"

I took that to mean that obviously your resit marks (say you get a 66%) won't be used for degree classification purposes, but just assumed that a 40% pass mark would be used, which I did not think unreasonable? You can't really deny that it sure as hell isn't explicit.

Soldato
Since everyone is saying:

UCE in Birmingham: 40% Cap (I.T.)
Plymouth Uni: 40% Cap (I.T.)

Giving you zero when it will so adversely affect you scores is crazy!

Matthew

Last edited:
Soldato
One of my first year exams got 0% - presumably because they lost the exam paper - but by the time I found out, I'd have had to a resit - and it was capped at 40%.

Should probably have said something, but meh.

Associate
That's a pretty bizarre system really. You would have got higher than 0% when you first failed the module so why on earth would they force you to resit in order to progress, but then give you no mark at all as opposed to the commonly accepted 40% cap, or at the very least your original marks? :confused:

Soldato
OP
That's a pretty bizarre system really. You would have got higher than 0% when you first failed the module so why on earth would they force you to resit in order to progress, but then give you no mark at all as opposed to the commonly accepted 40% cap, or at the very least your original marks? :confused:

I've just realised I didn't quite make it clear, that my mark is at zero, because I didn't go to the exam, so automatically got a 0. Giving me my original marks, is therefore giving me 0%. It doesn't really change the problem though, seeing as there's not any difference between me not going to the exam, and me going and getting 1%. Either way, they still aren't capping the resit at 40%.

Soldato
capped at 40% at Nottingham Trent.

I could've sworn my mate at Nottingham Uni was capped at 40%. I don't know if it differs between the different departments though, as departments at NTU all have different policies for a variety of things.

Back
Top Bottom