Dell U2713 HM

Man of Honour
i suppose it depends what you mean by handle...it wil be fine for general use of course, but maybe not high detail, high frame rate gaming. but the DGM would be the same on that graphics card. why not get the Dell now if you like the look of it and get the GFX card later on when it's back in stock?

Soldato
But would the 560ti handle that resolution?

Thats all thats worrying me or I would thats why I was going for the dgm and 7950 today as Ive got £640 max to spend.

Dam pc's love them but hate them at the same time lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
surely it would? assuming i've got the right card then the spec here suggests max digial resolution is 2560 x 1600 which is fine, so should be able to handle 2560 x 1440 no worries over the dual-link DVI connection :)

Soldato
Ok thanks Baddass as always will pull the trigger on it.

TBH was only going with the DGM so I could get gpu at same time but ive always wanted the Dell 27" and no doubt I would regret it if I did go for the DGM.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't know whether to go for this one or the Samsung B970. What do you think Baddass? Price is not an issue, I want the monitor with the best picture quality for photography and movies.

Man of Honour
Do you have a colorimeter at all? Will you be able to hardware calibrate the Samsung if you go that route? Any preferences around glossy vs AG screen coating?

Associate
No don't have a colorimeter, are they expensive? I've never had a glossy screen but I'm open to them. I want decent contrast and colour accuracy. At the moment I have an AOC i2353, which has quite decent contrast but I find it a bit small and I've never been able to calibrate it to get decent colours out of it. Also it has quite bad back light bleed in the corners.

Soldato
120hz or high res? ...... I can't choose between the two so will probably stick with 1920x1080 @ 60hz until a high res gaming monitor exists (Native 2560x1440 @ 100Hz+). No i'm not touching the Yamakasi..

Man of Honour
No don't have a colorimeter, are they expensive? I've never had a glossy screen but I'm open to them. I want decent contrast and colour accuracy. At the moment I have an AOC i2353, which has quite decent contrast but I find it a bit small and I've never been able to calibrate it to get decent colours out of it. Also it has quite bad back light bleed in the corners.

depends which one you get of course, but if you were going to spend all that money potentially on a pro grade screen like the Samsung S27B970D then you'd probably want to be able to make the most of it. something like the i1 Display Pro from X-rite would be a good option for that.

i'm not sure really whether the Samsung is going to be overkill for you here as it's quite a lot more expensive.

Associate
depends which one you get of course, but if you were going to spend all that money potentially on a pro grade screen like the Samsung S27B970D then you'd probably want to be able to make the most of it. something like the i1 Display Pro from X-rite would be a good option for that.

i'm not sure really whether the Samsung is going to be overkill for you here as it's quite a lot more expensive.

if you don't mind me asking, which would you say has the 'best' picture quality. colour accuracy aside.

i don't mind the price, the 970 looks better to me externally, but as you can imagine its hard to decide on picture quality based on internet reviews :)

i just don't want to pay the extra for a slightly nicer exterior if the picture quality is the same. just looking for some confirmation i guess!

cheers!:)

Man of Honour
very hard to say really. The Samsung has a glossy screen so the picture can look very clear and sharp and it can make colours and blacks "pop". so from that point of view it probably looks and feels better. However, reflections can become an issue and some people don't like glossy screens longer term, so the Dell would then have the edge.

Associate
Problems

My U2713 arrived yesterday. Initially I was very pleased, in a bright office mid day. A real step up from my old trusty 2405FPW. However, come evening I was stunned to see really bad light bleed from the bottom left corner. It was completely distracting when watching a movie, washing out all the blacks in that corner with a yellowish tinge. No matter what adjustments I made to brightness, contrast, etc, it remained. Alas it ruins the monitor for multimedia use for me.

Plus I seem to be suffering a lot of image ghosting where if I have left the screen for 10 minutes or so then a ghost image remains visible on darker backgrounds (say opening Photoshop CS6 with its dark gray layout) for a long time afterwards (I'd say around 30 minutes later having had other windows open on top of the original screen, the ghost image is no longer visible). This is also very distracting and I don't remember ever having this issue with the 2405FPW. If I move the Photoshop window around the screen, the ghost image remains locked in place, of course. What is happening here? Anyone got any ideas? Is it the monitor, or is it something to do with my ATI 5870 graphics card at this resolution?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Alloam,

I have the same issue with bleed from the bottom left hand corner, i've just sent mine back. No ghosting for me though.

hmm I asked for a replacement but maybe its a fault with the first batch :/

Associate
very hard to say really. The Samsung has a glossy screen so the picture can look very clear and sharp and it can make colours and blacks "pop". so from that point of view it probably looks and feels better. However, reflections can become an issue and some people don't like glossy screens longer term, so the Dell would then have the edge.

thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom