• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i7-4770K vs i7-4930K

Associate
Hi,

Intel Core i7-4770K vs i7-4930K

I will be using the PC mainly for heavy gaming and media (Blu ray etc). I want to overclock it to a stable 4.5+GHz. I may also Water cool the rig as well.

If I get Haswell (Z87) I am thinking of either:

-Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI EXTREME
-Gigabyte G1.Sniper 5
-Gigabyte Z87X-OC Force

What CPU do you think is best in terms of gaming and overclocking, should I get Haswell or wait for Ivy Bridge-E? (I know that i7-4930K is more expensive)

Soldato
unless you game at 1920x1080 then z87 works well.

heavy gaming I call eyefinity.
5040x1050 minimum, anything else isnt heavy in my opinion.
so for a normal set up with a single card, a 4770k works as well.

Overclocking its likely the 4930k will be better if they solder the die.

Associate
Well it's basically the 2012 discussion over again (core i7 3770k or core i7 3930K).

It really depends what you're going to do with your PC. If gaming, general internet surfing and doing a few video rederings them the socket 1150 will be the perfect fit.
If you're going to do some more heavy tasking work and running more programs at the same time e.g doing rendering and encoding/decoding videos or just renderings large video file while doing some heavy photoshop stuff... or having af video rendered while you game - then the socket 2011/Socket2011-e will be your choice.

Soldato
Nothing you're doing requires a 4930k; I'd recommend it only if you're doing heavy rendering/encoding or need the virtualization parts the 4770k is missing.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I will be using X2 GTX 780. I will also be using a lot of Photoshop as well.

If I was to by the 4930k what would be the best motherboard for gaming and overclocking. Are they releasing new motherboards or a new chipset for Ivy bridge e?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, I will be using X2 GTX 780. I will also be using a lot of Photoshop as well.

If I was to by the 4930k what would be the best motherboard for gaming and overclocking. Are they releasing new motherboards or a new chipset for Ivy bridge e?

No new chipset. New motherboards maybe, but you can't go wrong with the rampage iv boards.

Soldato

That would be the X79 Rampage IV Extreme. But you don't need to go that crazy. I'd say a X79 Sabertooth, X79-UP4, should still kick butts.

Maybe wait for the chip to be released, and the BIOSes ironed out. You may also see something new, although unlikely.

Associate
Overclocking its likely the 4930k will be better if they solder the die.

They solder that die to the IHS I will be one happy guy. Holding off for ivy-e for a transportable gaming/rending rig in a 350d so better temps and a higher overclock is always a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom