How long does a V5 take to come?

Soldato
I bought a car at the end of December and 3 weeks on I'm still waiting for the V5, which is costing me £25 a week just to park outside my home cos the council won't give a full permit without it. How long does it usually take, worth giving them a ring? I mean how hard is it to enter a name and address and send a new V5 off.

Last edited:

Soldato
more common than you would think, people do forget, or cant be bothered,

Contact the DVLA and ask them if it has been received yet. failing that you'll have to fill our (iirc) a v62 form to declare you'r the new owner of the vehicle

Soldato
OP
Phoned them up and I'm being extorted another £25 for their blunder, this just gets better ;), i'll just have to give up lunch for a month to make ip this money that i've been extorted by the council and now the dvla, ****ing britain, the only country in the world where the government bleeds you dry.

Please fully star swearwords.

Man of Honour
Phoned them up and I'm being extorted another £25 for their blunder, this just gets better ;), i'll just have to give up lunch for a month to make ip this money that i've been extorted by the council and now the dvla, ****ing britain, the only country in the world where the government bleeds you dry.

Always best to visit the local office when dealig with the dvla. I went down there today to do 3 things, I needed to transfer the plate from my written off car to my new car but didn't have the tax disc for the write off because of a mess up with the storage company. Secondly I needed to become the registered keeper of the new car as well as change my address and correct a spelling typo on my name on my license.

Whole process took no more than 15 minutes as I took ID and all the paperwork I might need with me they were also very helpful and did the majority of the paperwork for me. Cost me £105 to do all this but I couldn't deal with all the paperwork and reading of forms. Feels good to have finally got the last bits I needed to get sorted done though.

Back
Top Bottom