OcUK DDoS attack - £10,000 reward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm guessing Spie is asking for people who know and can help prove the person responsible? After all without server logs and various other details there's no much one could discover 'cold'.

Soldato
i dont believe you can do something about finding whos doing it but cant you like use firewall ? something like cisco asa 5520 i've read somewhere that this can protect from ddos :/ of course it's an expensive one...

i dunno much if any about servers just the things i've read while using vbulletin before :)

uv

uv

Soldato
I don't even know what a DDoS attack is so wouldn't know where to start. :p
Maybe an idea to check the ip addresses of all recently banned users?

The first D stands for distributed, so the attack won't be coming from a single address. It'll be coming from a bot net.

Permabanned
I don't even know what a DDoS attack is so wouldn't know where to start. :p

Maybe an idea to check the ip addresses of all recently banned users?

LOL the second sentence confirms the first :)

I reckon someone will have paid off some shady ruskies or similar to do this. If it was initiated by a malicious group off their own backs, they would have emailed in a demand for cash to cease the attacks.

I wouldn't know where to start - even if you get the ISP to block all the zombie hosts from connecting, chances are the perpetrators will have access to several other botnets. I thought that some security consultancies out there had "honeypot" machines that they left open to trojans and the like so that they could monitor this kind of activity.

As for an ASA mitigating DDoS, I can't see that happening with the sheer amount of traffic that would be generated in this kind of attack :( IMO the reward might push someone in the know into giving some information and is probably one of the best hopes.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i dont believe you can do something about finding whos doing it but cant you like use firewall ? something like cisco asa 5520 i've read somewhere that this can protect from ddos :/ of course it's an expensive one...

It would take more than an enterprise grade firewall to stop a properly orchestrated DDoS attack.

I'd also assume that whichever datacentre the shop and forums are hosted in have some pretty clever kit, and wouldn't be surprised it it wasn't a top end PIX or similar.

Soldato
Where's Tefal when you need him?

Sorry to borrow this off iamdjdz but

tefalvc9.jpg

:cool:

Any suspects yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom