National Express will fine you if you don't print your ticket...

Caporegime
How am I wrong?

I quoted from the T&C's off the website in post 13 what the requirements are for an e-ticket that it is booked.

The website even states at the checkout:

e-Ticket?
Check this box to have the ticket sent to the above email address as an e-Ticket. You must be able to print the ticket.

When you order the ticket. If he had no printer he could have chose:

m-Ticket?
Check this box to have the ticket sent to the mobile number below as an m-Ticket. (50p m-ticket fee).

Soldato
How am I wrong?

I quoted from the T&C's off the website in post 13 what the requirements are for an e-ticket that it is printed.

The website even states at the checkout:

When you order the ticket. If he had no printer he could have chose:

It still doesn't stipulate that it has to be printed on paper.

How about printing to an XPS document? :p

Caporegime
But you know what National Express mean though.

The thing is though, today more than ever consumers seem to be trying to find more and more ways of making something out of nothing and saying "Hey look at me, I'm a consumer and I was wronged by x company" Who wants to hear my tale of woe and how they have wronged me?

It's not as if they don't offer an option for mobile tickets if their customers do not have a printer available.

Yes I appreciate a smart phone can display a PDF file of a ticket, but if the company have a policy in place it must be printed then I abide by their rules. If people want to try and get oneupmanship on companies by trying to "stick it to the man" then fair play to them, but don't expect the conductor in this case not to slap you with a £20 fine.

Associate
OP
Why would you not just print off your ticket?

Were you setting out to try and be a smart ass in the first place?

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass.. after asking a coach driver once for future reference whether this method was acceptible and being told yes, most people do this, I continued to do so. I don't have a printer at home but do at work. Though if I don't need to print one why would I waste the paper?

Before you say it, yes I know it states has to be printed, but the issue is the fact that they are planning on making a conscious effort to be inflexible with their policy, which has clearly not been updated to adhere to what I would consider to be a perfectly acceptable standard for something that has no security hologram, chip, information etc.. on it. They don't even scan the barcode on the ticket.

To top it off, the money they are losing by people not choosing their m-tickets will be increased by the amount they are going to spend on bringing additional staff members on to check.

It still doesn't stipulate that it has to be printed on paper.

How about printing to an XPS document? :p

To be fair dude I do go to print - PDF so technically it has been printed :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Well that's fair enough that you have asked in the past and been told it's ok, but clearly now things are changing for the worse and they are going to enforce the printed ticket ruling (onto what most people would interpret as printed on paper).

I'm not saying you are like a person I described in post 23, but it seems all you read about now in the 'press' is how tech savy people are beating companies up over their policies that do not take the latest technology into account in cerain situations.

Last edited:
Associate
Just trying to get their money back use them now and again to see gigs in manchester they haven't half but the prices up and throwing extra booking fees on going like ryanair make out they have great offers on but very rarely do.

Associate
OP
Well that's fair enough that you have asked in the past and been told it's ok, but clearly now things are changing for the worse and they are going to enforce the printed ticket ruling (onto what most people would interpret as printed on paper).

I'm not saying you are like a person I described in post 23, but it seems all you read about now in the 'press' is how tech savy people are beating companies up over their policies that do not take the latest technology into account in cerain situations.

I'm sure there are people that set out to do that, and in turn that creates the possibility of drawing everyone else under the same veil and trying to do something like that just because they can

I think the thing that gets me the most is that it seems as though they are setting out specifically to stop people, even though logic would dictate it's a perfectly acceptable way of doing things, but of course, one persons logic isn't necessarily the same as the other :)

Caporegime
The thing is I totally agree with you. I'll give you a little story for some background below, but things like this should be acceptable, however sadly I think people go about it the wrong way when dealing with things like this and just because we are tech savy and bang up to speed on technology does not mean the people who run these companies and enforce such policies are so tech savy.

I recently went to see Michael Winslow at Wolverhampton and got a PDF ticket emailed to me from Ticketmaster, now I do not have a printer and it was my plan to use my girlfriends dad printer to print the ticket, but I forgot when we went to see him on several times, the day of the show comes and it's a mad panic to sort it, it did cross my mind to just take it along on my phone as a PDF ( I wondered if they would scan the ticket on my phone) but I ended up being able to get it printed anyway.

You may ask why did I not just turn up with my PDF tickets on my phone, well the fact (and this is why I asked in my first post in this thread) that plastered all over the ticket was "PRINT THIS TICKET OUT", I decided it was not worth the hassle and I just visited my girlfriends dad in the afternoon and got it printed out, now if I was a person like I described in post 23 I would have gone in fully armed for a fight, but I didn't because it just wouldn't have been worth the hassle on the door.

Sorry if that's just a load of waffle and doesn't make sense.

Associate
OP
Nah that makes sense =] An again, the thing that reinforces it there is that (I believe) they will have scanned the barcode at the gig, correct? Whereas for National Express they use the unique code that is generated at the head of your ticket.

If they did have scanners, you can't scan regularly shaped barcodes on screens - my clubcard app can testify to that! So it would need to be a QR style one like Subway or Starbucks use, which again would be them needing to update the tech they use, or develop an app etc..

Back
Top Bottom