Giving debit card details over the phone...

Associate
Hey,

I've never actually done this as so far, I've been far too paranoid to give these details over the phone to pay for goods/a service.

Reason I ask is because recently I had to pay my rent manually as the direct debit that had been set up has messed up somehow. The woman on the phone said you can pay over the phone you know? To which I said I'll pass. I then went in and payed via chip n' pin.

However, if I was to give details over the phone, what do they ask for? The card number and pin or what?

Also, how risky is it to do this? (I'm assuming it's high risk) couldn't they commit fraud with these details?

Cheers.

Soldato
Card number, start date, end date, issue number, name on card, registered address and the last three numbers on card (cvv number). They won't ask for the PIN number but if they do never ever give that number out, nobody should ever ask for it.

They could commit fraud with it as you don't really know how much they are going to take out so I suppose it is a bit of risk, you can always then file a complaint and recover the money but just adds a bit of inconvenience. Depends how much you trust them really, I'm more comfortable giving my credit card number over the phone then Debit but debit is now from what I remember safer than it used to be.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So basicly the same details you give when ordering online. Is there a risk of the person on the other end of the phone being able to use these details to steal money from the cards account? I know it sounds daft, but it's just the prospect of actually telling someone your details over the phone as opposed to filling out a forkm on a secure website, such as OCUK.

Soldato
The person you give the details to could potentially order stuff online because you've given them the CVS number. Short of doing what you did by going to the place there isn't much else you can do, you will be covered by the bank however.

Associate
Credit cards are covered for fraud anyway. Direct Debits have the Direct Debit guarantee.

Probably wouldn't give out Debit card details over the phone unless direct debit.

Direct Debit Guarantee:

"In future, if these is a change to the date, amount or frequency of your DD, we will always give you 14-working days notice in advance of you account being debited. In the event of any error, you are entitled to an immediate refund from your bank or building society. You have the right to cancel at any time and this guarantee is offered by all the banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. A copy of the safeguards under the Direct Debit Guarantee will be sent to you with our confirmation letter."

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've once been sat on the train with someone reading out their card details over the phone. They kept losing their place, or something, so read them out about 3 times. I had half a mind to write them down and them wave them at the person in question.

So yeah, don't do that...

Soldato
I dont like to give my details out over the phone either so I always try to order online. Never know who is on the end of the phone.

You do if you have phoned the company in question and know they are legit.
I have done this loads of times.
You are much more likely to visit a dodgy website.

Anyway, you can just as fradulently be targeted in shops using chip and pin. The card number is stored on the receipt in the till, as is the expiry etc. Only thing that isn;t is the CVV value, and thats not difficult to get out of the customer for anyone even slightly determined.

Back
Top Bottom