Xbox 360 Slim. Which way to sit it?

Soldato
My Xbox 360 slim is currently laying flat. Should it be standing up? I lay it down because before I had a HDD, the drive was quite noisy with some games and laying it flat helped it a bit, now I have an HDD I install all games to it so should I stand the console back up again?

Which way do you have yours?

Last edited:
Associate
Have it lying down, Hot air gets expelled out the top and also the vents on the left hand side wont be blocked.

Although in the real world, I dont think it makes much difference.

Soldato
Depends on the space. I usually have it standing up, but obviously lay it down if its in the AV Unit.

Doesn't really make a difference in the real world regarding heat.

Soldato
lay it down! not only will it help with the airflow, but if you move a xbox while its on it will scratch a perfect ring on your disk. Just seems more likely to happen when upright.

How will it help with the airflow? There's less of the surface area of the console blocked by the surface it's lying on if it's standing up.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Definately laying down!

Had it on its side one time, went to put it laying down (while it was on..) and it scratched up the game that was in the drive, disc had to go straight into the bin. Lucky it was Fifa 10 and Fifa 11 was coming out the next week :D

Associate
laying down. TWO of my street fighter 4 disks got scratched by standing it up and then someone moving the console, i had to buy the flippin game like 4 times lol.

Associate
Well, as far as I know nobody has had overheating problems with their slim yet, so in that regard it wouldn't matter. However as has been said, you can still scratch your discs if the console moves at all while the disc is spinning so you'd want to have it horizontal.

IF it is an issue: In regards to heat dissipation, you want it horizontal plain and simple.

Soldato
How will it help with the airflow? There's less of the surface area of the console blocked by the surface it's lying on if it's standing up.

You want the largest surface area at the top for the heat to dissipate quicker. vertical has a larger overall surface area but all the heat will collect at the top not down the lower half.

Associate
lay it down! not only will it help with the airflow, but if you move a xbox while its on it will scratch a perfect ring on your disk. Just seems more likely to happen when upright.

I made my copy of forza 3 fubar using it upright :mad: Would advise anyone if you like your games to have it laying flat.

Back
Top Bottom