• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** VTX3D R9 290 PRE-FLASHED TO R9 290X & VOLTAGE UNLOCKED!! **

Associate
If OcUK was to do that (with the MK26), we'd be looking at roughly a £100-£120 price premium...basing on what we seen on the pricing for the 290x with that cooler pre-installed.

I'd be happy to pay the extra. People like me are getting so bored we are considering a Nvidia 780, they are already a good £50 more expensive. So, £399 or even £419 seems good value for me, a nice cooler and a 290 that's really a 290x and I get to keep my warranty. Happy days, ill buy one now.

Soldato
I'd be happy to pay the extra. People like me are getting so bored we are considering a Nvidia 780, they are already a good £50 more expensive. So, £399 or even £419 seems good value for me, a nice cooler and a 290 that's really a 290x and I get to keep my warranty. Happy days, ill buy one now.
You are getting your maths wrong :p

This card is already £360, adding £100-£120 to that would be £460-£480 :D

OcUK Staff
OP
C'mon Gibbo, throw me a bone. Any plans at all for OCUK to put coolers on the 290's themselves? It seems obvious it would make good money, so I suspect there are other reasons why you guys have not yet gone for it?

We shall look into it more, the problem at the moment is it is very time consuming and our builds area is operating at 150% capacity with it being peak season due to system and laptop sales absolutely exploding.

Plus we have to charge huge premiums for pre-fitting MK26 or a waterblock.

We shall look into it, but really no promises I am afraid.

Permabanned
Brilliant service, the best single card price/performance by a mile.

Shame it's VTX though, heard many a bad thing about them.

Soldato
Sorry, you're right. I had the price of the cheapest 290's in my head, which I admit would still be more like £450. I think I'd go to for £450, though it would be my limit. Any more and I'd be divorced the next day.
Clearly we have some miscommunication on what we are talking about. I was talking specifically regarding this pre-flashed voltage unlocked VTX3D 290 at £360, not some general 290.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Brilliant service, the best single card price/performance by a mile.

Shame it's VTX though, heard many a bad thing about them.

Well, what do you have to worry about?

Because were pre-flashing them, essentially pre-tested, so your guaranteed to get a working card.

OcUK looks after you for the 2yr warranty period and they are reference design, so all is good. :)

Soldato
First of all, stop breaking forum rules, hinting about prices elsewhere is against the rules here, any repeats of this and suspensions will be handed out.

Fair enough, sorry about that.

I recall you saying that a lot of 7990s suffered from coil whine (or something like that). What's the situation with R9 290s and coil whine (if you can hear it over the cooler)? As I'd eventually be looking to watercool and it'd be annoying to get rid of the fan noise but still have coil whine.

OcUK Staff
OP
Fair enough, sorry about that.

I recall you saying that a lot of 7990s suffered from coil whine (or something like that). What's the situation with R9 290s and coil whine (if you can hear it over the cooler)? As I'd eventually be looking to watercool and it'd be annoying to get rid of the fan noise but still have coil whine.

So far I am yet to hear one with coil whine. :)

However I have heard that some do it very faintly, but are rare, of course this is the current reference designs, which seem to be excellent for not having it.

Once custom cards come, that could change, but right now you'd be hugely unlucky to get one with coil whine and as always 24-48hrs running can cure some coil whine.

Most HD 7990's have it yes!

Soldato
Good job Gibbo. Takes away the lottery, maintains warranty, goes where some people people won't (flashig BIOS), and saves people £60 over the cost of the same card with a 290X sticker and box.

Soldato
Ah bugger, I'm really tempted by this, my finger itching and twitching over the buy button as I type this. Trouble is the missus would go absolutely ballistic considering Xmas is round the corner.
Decisions, decisions......:p

Soldato
Gibbo, you are on fire tonight. First the 4820K offer, now this!!!!!

And after ordering a 780 and having clear conciousness :(

So at the same money, a 780OC or a 290pro->290X + custom cooler. hmmmmm

Associate
Sorry, you're right. I had the price of the cheapest 290's in my head, which I admit would still be more like £450. I think I'd go to for £450, though it would be my limit. Any more and I'd be divorced the next day.

At 450 i would buy one tomorrow straight away no questions ... bang !

Back
Top Bottom