Cooking idiot. How to cook chicken fillet?

Soldato
I'm trying to eat a lot of protein lately so I bought some plain chicken fillets, however I don't know what the best method to cook it is. I've never cooked one before and I'm a self confessed cooking idiot.

I always worry that I haven't cooked meat correctly so I often stay away from it!

From what I understand I'd place the fillet on a baking tray, lightly cover the tray in water, but I don't know what gas mark to cook it on and for how long?

Could one of you culinary geniuses please help an idiot out?

Thanks.

Soldato
Do you just want the chicken, and nothing else? You don't want to make it into a curry or anything like that?

If so, rub the breasts with a little bit of olive oil. Add a wee bit of salt and pepper to taste. Then place on a tray, under a medium-hot grill for around 5 minutes each side depending on the thickness of the breast.
To check if it's cooked, cut into it and look for the juices. If they run clear then it's cooked. Generally speaking, as long as your meat is reasonably fresh (which it should be if you're buying from a supermarket), and stored properly (in the fridge) then you'll struggle to get food poisoning.

If I were you, I'd make it into a curry or something more interesting. Not sure how many fitness folk come into here, so if you're trying to tailor your diet to your training it may be worth asking in SA as well.

Soldato
Wow! Just bosh it in a frying pan, cut it in half lengthways if it's thick, it will cook quicker. Buy some rubs (herb aisle in supermarket) to make it more interesting.

Some stuff you could do:

Breaded chicken

Cut the breast in half lengthways, then hammer each half out so they're about 0.5-1cm thick. Dip in flour, then a beaten egg, then breadcrumbs (stale, or lightly toast some bread and blend it). Season, and fry in oil for a few minutes each side.

Stuffed chicken breast

Cut a slit lengthways down the breast, but not all the way through. Try to make it in to a pocket. Stuff with a slice of cheese (chedder, brie, anything you fancy really) and wrape the whole thing back up in a couple of rashers of streaky bacon. Bake in preheated oven (180c) for 15-20 mins or so.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help guys, I will be eating it as part of a meal with some veg. I can just about work the steamer. :p I'm going to go with the Grill method. Hopefully it works out!

Last edited:
Associate
At least do something other than just grill / fry, otherwise it's be naff! I always think chicken breasts need moisture. TBH I rarely use breasts (unless roasting one whole of course!).

Next time maybe think about getting some thighs instead. They are:

a) Cheaper
b) Keep moisture better
c) Have a bunch load more flavour

Tou can put a few of these in a small oven dish, with some chopped toms / herbs / seasoning and roast for 25 - 30 mins for a bunch of flavour!

Soldato
If I just want something quick what I usually do is cut it into chunks, in a bowl, with some crushed garlic, smoke paprika, and soy sauce, then stir fried with some veg.

Soldato
Tom D, you should try making this. I made it the other week and it was fantastic. I served it with a rocket salad (out of a bag).

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spanish-chicken-with-chorizo-and-potatoes-5160

You don't need to have the Chorizo if you don't want to, as I guess it might be quite fatty. It's very easy to make, can do everything in the one dish. Just substitute the amounts until you're happy. Chicken thighs are very cheap.

Soldato
Cut onion in fine pieces and fry with olive oil until golden brown.

Chop two chicken breasts into small pieces chuck it into the pan. Lightly salt it. I add a pinch of basil too. Wait until chicken is nicely whitened and add sauce of choice. I add a light BBQ sauce.

Eat with rice.

15min meal and soooo good. Impossible to screw it up.

Associate
I find the best way to cook a chicken breast is to fry it. You'll get pretty bored of eating plain chicken though so I suggest getting familiar with a spice cupboard to pack some flavour into it.

Soldato
Get to a cooking shop, buy a meat thermometer. The best way to cure fear of undercooking meat is to make sure you never undercook it. If you think it's done then stick the probe in the centre of the piece of meat (and again near the bone if there's one in there) and check it's over 65'C and that the juices are running clear. At 65'C it's cooked.

Mine cost me something like £4. For the money it's well worth it and will really reduce the stress of trying the tips above.

Back
Top Bottom