BMW 330Ci oil light just came on?

Associate
Just driving back to work from my lunch and noticed the orange oil light came on. I am assuming this is related to the car needing an oil service. When I turn the ignition the dash says oil service 475 miles, so that’s gonna need doing real soon.

Am I right or is the oil light something more serious to be worrying about?

Cheers

Associate
OP
From reading a few forum posts sounds like its either low oil level or the oil sensor is broken. I am gonna nip out and check the oil levels but I am sure it will be linked to needing an oils service shortly.

Soldato
As has been said, chances are its gotten so low it's lost pressure (going around a corner or something)

This can be very bad news, if its the case get it topped up ASAP, preferably without driving it again

Soldato
i once did 30 miles after forgetting to put the oil filler cap back on.

it ran the head dry and as you can imagine that tappet like a goodun. after loosing almost 2L (out of 4.3L) i still didnt get an oil pressure warning, so his oil miust be pretty damn low. the next pain in the azz is that the pump may need to be primed

Caporegime
Why do people do this? Drive around in an expensive car and then don't bother to check the oil levels every so often. If it's low then you should be kicking yourself.

Soldato
Why do people do this? Drive around in an expensive car and then don't bother to check the oil levels every so often. If it's low then you should be kicking yourself.

because its an expensive car, they have pay X amount for it so it shuoldnt need looking after other than driving it to the dealer every X number of miles.

its not the dont thing to get under the bonnet yknow

Soldato
yeah, like my old 406 diesel used to and the link to the e46 site said that was a cure for the light staying on the a few seconds after you started up, ie the only time oil level would be half accurate after starting.

those BMWs are clever things

Back
Top Bottom