Failing uni?

Consigliere
For my University, if i fail a compulsary module i have to re-sit in September and if i fail it again, i am 'suspended' for a year and i have to take the exam next Spring. :eek:

M0T

M0T

Soldato
At our uni you can only resit if you actually fail a unit, so if you get 40% or above you can't resit you just end up with a really bad degree. You can only resit the year if your overall mark for that year was below 40%.

This is why they don't give dissertations back before exams, they were marked months ago but if people did badly in that then they could miss their exams and qualify for a resit of the whole year.

Soldato
my uni went like this.

If you fail you can resit the exam or resubmit the assignment in the summer but you get a maximum of 40% in the resit (unless you have a good reason for missing the first sitting)

If you cant pass it in 2 goes (first attempt and resit) you can take one module over to the next year. If you totally fail two you have to stay back a year and complete those two modules again.

Soldato
There were no re-sits at my Uni. Get a 3rd at the end of the first or second year, and they dump you down into an "easier" subject. Or... at the very best sit you down and strongly advise you that you won't succeed in the subject the next year (if you have a soft director of studies).

Soldato
which uni in the toon are you at ? and what course ? think it varys between them. on mine (1st year) we can still pass the year after failing a module but have to redo it next year. can do resits in august too.

Soldato
my uni went like this.

If you fail you can resit the exam or resubmit the assignment in the summer but you get a maximum of 40% in the resit (unless you have a good reason for missing the first sitting)

If you cant pass it in 2 goes (first attempt and resit) you can take one module over to the next year. If you totally fail two you have to stay back a year and complete those two modules again.

glad im at teesside uni then!

Associate
Im a uni failure and can assure you that uni will try their hardest to pass you for the year. I dropped out of my 2nd year last year after failing 5 modules, came back this year to redo them and failed 5 more in january. I have 3 exams in the next 3 days but have been assured everything will be ok and will pass the year with a few resits in the summer.

It's just comon scarmongering that the uni say all of this "no second chance" or "you wont be able to carry on the year." It's the ****ups like myself who do terrible that get to see the minimum you can pass with. You should worry about it at all............................................ unless your a final year student, then all of the above doesn't apply and your screwed

edit. I can't even spell or construct sentances im that bad.

Soldato
It varies per university, so I would suggest you speak to your personal tutor and ask him/her what the procedure is. If your tutor is any good, he/she should be help and reassure you :)

However, universities really want you to stay because you make them a lot of money, so you should have opportunities to resit modules etc.

Soldato
my uni went like this.

Northumbria goes like this, which theres a 50% the OP goes to.

If you **** up certain modules that are worth enough credits or dip below a 40% average you will most likely get bumped onto the none honours degree too.

Iv failed stuff in first year and second year, im now in final year and iv never had a decent average, i have never been very bothered for uni, im only here because of parental pressure, iv got 10days left to go and hope to god i dont fail anything this time round because i dont know what that means due to the fact im final year.

Soldato
Lincoln uni is:

40% Minimum to pass a unit
First year = Must pass 4 units, can do in-course retrieval/Resit in summer for max 40% Grade
Second year = Must pass all units, resit options apply
Third year = Must pass all units to pass, can resit a maximum of one unit in summer, if fail, do not pass go, do not collect $200, return to year 1...

Associate
There were no re-sits at my Uni. Get a 3rd at the end of the first or second year, and they dump you down into an "easier" subject. Or... at the very best sit you down and strongly advise you that you won't succeed in the subject the next year (if you have a soft director of studies).
You're a 'tab :D.

Associate
I know i've failed a moduel already this year, is a complete Mickey Mouse moduel that was for all the socialy inept compuer science geeks. It was assessed on attendance to a one hour weekly lecture and a few presentations, which i didn't do, due to a poor attendance of that one lecturea week.
Not to sure what the uni will do about it, i'm confident i'll pass all my other moduels, so i'm sure they'll let it drop.

Soldato
In my second year I was half a module below what I needed to get into third year and had to wait a year before I could resit my exams so in the mean time took up another course which I am now enjoying much more. I went back to repeat the exams, passed them and decided not to go back.

In my case I was failing the exams and doing poorly because I just wasn't enjoying the course, Aeronautical Engineering, and am now top of the class in my current field of study, Mechatronics Engineering.

Back
Top Bottom