Why do politicians stand up between questions in PMQs

Permabanned
Pretty dull thread really.

If any of you have ever watched some of the debates that go on in the House of Commons then perhaps you'll know what I am talking about. If not, don't worry.

I have just been watching Prime Minister's Question on BBC iPlayer. Ridicule me for this dispicable act if you will, but my question is: Does anyone know why some MPs stand up briefly between questions?

Imo, it looks like one of those Whack-The-Mole games. (I wish I had a suitable hammer)

Yours ever,

spitzoid.
x

Last edited:
Soldato
i was told it was tradition, back in the old times (dont ask me when) sometimes if the person didnt know the question, the person standing up would take it, dont quote me on this because im not too sure if this is true

Associate
If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it was to stop people from falling asleep of boredom while watching. At least with a little movement going on it's not quite so dull. Although it is still very, very, very dull.

Permabanned
OP
Isn't it so they can speak, sort of like children putting their hand up at school?

But surely something like PMQs is carefully planned, therefore standing up is futile (i.e. they won't get to speak).

Anyway, I would have thought that every single one of those busybodies would have something to say about everything that is said. If it is the case that they are just standing up in a "hands-up" manner then surely everybody would stand up after every question. However, it is only a few each time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But surely something like PMQs is carefully planned, therefore standing up is futile (i.e. they won't get to speak).

Anyway, I would have thought that every single one of those busybodies would have something to say about everything that is said. If it was the case that they were just standing up in a "hands-up" manner, then everybody would stand up after every question. However, it is only a few each time.

Well they're lazy, fat and generally old. :p

Soldato
If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it was to stop people from falling asleep of boredom while watching. At least with a little movement going on it's not quite so dull. Although it is still very, very, very dull.

what you on about??? PMQ is one of the best programs on the tv.

its a upmarket rap battle. who can make the other person look like a fool, its brilliant.

Soldato
Backbench MPs wishing to ask a question must enter their names on the Order Paper. The names of entrants are then shuffled in a ballot to produce a random order in which they will be called by the Speaker of the House of Commons. The Speaker will then call on MPs to put their questions, usually in an alternating fashion: one MP from the government benches is followed by one from the opposition benches. MPs who are not selected may be chosen to ask a supplementary question if they "catch the eye" of the Speaker, which is done by standing and sitting immediately before the Prime Minister gives an answer.

Back
Top Bottom