Paying VAT on glasses? :(

Soldato
So I just ordered some glasses online since i have a new perscription and was a bit miffed to see the VAT was almost a tenner for them.

Why on earth is VAT added to things like glasses? If you don't have to pay it on food, why should it be paid on other essentials like glasses and contact lenses? :/

Just a bit of a rant really after a rubbish week at work :p

Caporegime
Was it just on the frames? Was it at only 5%? Can't remember the right rate for glasses - assume they count as... medicine? Will check my legislation when I get home, assuming someone doesn't beat me to it.

Soldato
OP
Was it just on the frames? Was it at only 5%? Can't remember the right rate for glasses - assume they count as... medicine? Will check my legislation when I get home, assuming someone doesn't beat me to it.

From the receipt its 15% vat!

Shouldn't be paying any VAT at all on essentials like these, its rediculous :/

Caporegime
House of Commons Hansard said:
Mr. Laurence Robertson: To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will make a statement about changes he has made in VAT charges on (a) hearing aids and (b) glasses since May 1997. [158878]

Dawn Primarolo [holding answer 26 April 2001]: VAT was introduced on hearing aids and spectacles at the standard rate of 15 per cent. in 1988. The standard rate of

27 Apr 2001 : Column: 434W

VAT was increased to 17.5 per cent. in 1991. There have been no changes to VAT charged on hearing aids or spectacles since then.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Perhaps it is only levied on luxury frames? How does it work with what my mother would call "NHS glasses"?

Caporegime
So I just ordered some glasses online since i have a new perscription and was a bit miffed to see the VAT was almost a tenner for them.

Why on earth is VAT added to things like glasses? If you don't have to pay it on food, why should it be paid on other essentials like glasses and contact lenses? :/

Just a bit of a rant really after a rubbish week at work :p

I believe the lenses were not taxed, the designer frames were taxed.
I don't know if there are some tax free basic frames you can buy.
If you want something fancy, or want fancy extras like the auto tinting stuff then these are luxuries and also taxed.

It is kind of like clothes. Basic clothing shouldn't attract VAT but expensive designer jeans, shoes, suits, football etc should be taxed. However, it is difficult to not apply VAT to a 2 quid t-short from primark but to tax a fancy football shirt. Due to this everything just gets taxed.

The only solution i see is have certain values for clothes/glasses that are tax free. So, e.g. the first 5quid of a t-short has no tax, 2 pounds for underwear, 30 pounds for shoes. Everything over these kinds of values gets 20% VAT so unbranded basics are tax free or low tax, and 300 pounds shoes are heavily taxed.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I thought some food have VAT on it and some did not, depending if it was a staple or a luxury. Is that right?

Unprocessed food is tax free, processed food is taxed.

So fruit, vegetables, meat, flour, sugar etc are tax free.
Chocolates, crisps, microwave food, frozen pizzas, soda are all taxed.

Associate
is this the thread with the eel stuck up the blokes arse
that_escalated_quickly-86244_zps68b36cc4.gif

Soldato
Yeh lenses and frames are charged for separately, I think you can get 'NHS' frames which are pretty much free, I remember you could spot the kids at school with them pretty easily lol.

A 200 Prada frame is obviously a luxury item.

Back
Top Bottom