Car overheating in freezing weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Two can play the eyeroll game.

:rolleyes:

My mouth was actually closed when I typed that first post. -100 OCUK antagonistic pedant points for you....so I suppose you'll just have to keep thinking of me as a fool.

Anyway, I put some water and coolant in today as it was very low.

It seems to have fixed the problem.

I should probably check it more often but it's not strictly my car anyway and shouldn't be solely my responsibility but that appears to be how it is.

I just love it how any OP here is basically on trial the moment they hit "submit."

Should have just put coolant in it, it sounds like there is already too much water in it. I had the same issue with my Puma having had the HCV break on me last sept, I must have not got the coolant/water mix right when i fixed it.

2 weeks ago when it was Baltic in York it did the same as yours, water in the header tank was like a slush puppy. Just drained some out and refilled with coolant seamed to be fine. :)

Soldato
Hopefully there isn't any permanent damage. Definitely a frozen radiator. Seen loads of broken down cars round here recently, all clearly suffering from the same thing.

Saying that, I need to add some screenwaah to my washer bottle. Jets are frozen solid.

Caporegime
No chance of that happening in the volvo.

It has a "low coolant" warning that comes up when its halfway between max and min, and the moment it even touches the "min" mark comes up with "STOP CAR IMMEDIATELY TOP UP COOLANT".

Very re-assuring, but also quite nagging :p

Associate
You also need to consider that in Scotland the temps have been as low as -14 even -18 in the highlands and most people just throw a bottle of Anti-freeze into the expansion bottle of the car. Dealers just add what the makers ssays for the UK. If you read the lable you will find that the ratio of coolant to water is a lot higher once you get below -7 the freezing point of alcohol if its a old car with old anti freeze. In the UK its not often we have to think about how much anti freeze is in the radiator but the times are a changing and its getting colder in winter.

Soldato
Our other garage has a lovely one at the moment, block has been cracked nearly in two.

Lovely crack going from top to bottom on the front of the block face and several core plugs have been pushed out. neat water in that one methinks.

Soldato
Two can play the eyeroll game.

:rolleyes:

My mouth was actually closed when I typed that first post. -100 OCUK antagonistic pedant points for you....so I suppose you'll just have to keep thinking of me as a fool.

Anyway, I put some water and coolant in today as it was very low.

It seems to have fixed the problem.

I should probably check it more often but it's not strictly my car anyway and shouldn't be solely my responsibility but that appears to be how it is.

I just love it how any OP here is basically on trial the moment they hit "submit."

The issue is not that you are negligent when looking after someone else's property, but that you are bragging about how little you care. Go you.:rolleyes:

Caporegime
The guy is totally right, what obligation do you have to look after someone else's vehicle when driving it? Hey it needed a top up of oil but it's not my problem lol.

Associate
OP
The (legal) owner (as we both pay for half of the car in question) doesn't look after his own car either.

Either way, we are talking about a 14 year old Honda that cost us £200 and when I say I don't care if it breaks, I am not bragging, I really mean I don't care as it was bought to be driven until it breaks. Which it apparently hasn't.

Will there be any further questions/cross examination/assumptions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom