EGR Valve Cleaning

Associate
Hello all,

Tomorrow i'm going to clean the EGR valve on my friends 1.0 Corsa! fun times!

I'm just wondering what would be the best thing to clean it with?

Carb Cleaner? WD40? some have suggested Petrol?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Gil.

Soldato
Not on a corsa no so I cant comment on the gaskets..

I did it on my Mondeo and didnt have a problem with gaskets although its a messy job. Wear gloves because the crud will NOT come off your hands (although mine was diesel so its different crud, I wouldnt risk it...)

Associate
OP
Thanks, i'll be getting the marigold gloves out then!

Any pointers on a good carb cleaner to buy? Never bought any of the stuff before tbh. Do i just pop down to Halfords and grab what ever is there?

Soldato
You might get away with running a can of 10k Boost through the engine.

No need to remove the EGR valve.. just spray the can down the air intake.

Soldato
When I did mine halfords only had one type of carb cleaner - Winns I think..

Myself and NickXX used this to clean his EGR valve on his chipped 330d on Sunday.

We had tried to clean it a few weeks earlier with a toothbruth and water, but it was on solid. Sprayed ont he carb cleaner and it just poured out the other side.

Total time to do it was about 45 minutes including removing and then refitting.

Soldato
carb cleaner small screw driver and a little wire brush/toothbrush is what you want, just spray it in the carb cleaner will break it up and a lot of it will just fall out if you give it a gentle tap against something solid, the rest you can get out by scraping and spraying it, you will probably have a mesh filter too soak this in petrol then clean with a tooth brush.

Soldato
I was under the impression that 10k Boost can be sprayed into the air intake with the engine running.

Whereas carb cleaner could only be used with the engine off? and carb in hand as to speak.

Feel free to correct me ;)

Soldato
Myself and NickXX used this to clean his EGR valve on his chipped 330d on Sunday.

We had tried to clean it a few weeks earlier with a toothbruth and water, but it was on solid. Sprayed ont he carb cleaner and it just poured out the other side.

Total time to do it was about 45 minutes including removing and then refitting.

Yeah - you're best off removing the EGR valve and doing it properly rather than cleaning it in situ.

Don't try cleaning it in the kitchen sink. I did mine on the lawn.

Back
Top Bottom