jsa and holiday abroad

Soldato
Soldato
I remember when I was signed on I was allowed up to 2 weeks of holiday. No idea if the holiday being abroad was not allowed though. But then he tried to sign off so it really shouldn't matter to the Jobcentre.

Associate

To save you looking through the whole document (although you may still want to):

Participant is going abroad temporarily (including holidays abroad)
15. All JSA (IB) claimants going abroad will have their claim for JSA closed for
the period they are away.

16. JSA (Contributory [C]) claimants holidaying abroad will also have their
claims closed.

17. If a JSA (C) claimant moves abroad permanently, they may have the right
to claim the remainder of their benefit in the country they move to.
Jobcentre Plus will inform you of this change.

18. ESA claimants can go abroad for a period of up to 4 weeks and do not
have to notify Jobcentre Plus that they are doing so.

19. IS and IB claimants can go abroad for a period of up to 4 weeks, but must
notify Jobcentre Plus that they are doing so.

20. In some exceptional cases ESA can be paid to a participant whilst they are
abroad for a period of up to 52 weeks. The participant has to request
permission from DWP if they wish to do this.

21. If permission is granted you will be notified of this change.

Tell them the holiday is cancelled.

Go anyway.

Worst case you get singed off and sign back on when you return. You can't to my knowledge possibly owe them any money. Just JSA staff been crap. I very brieflly worked in a jobcentre 15+ years ago and the staff are generally not the most motivated.

Soldato
The problem won't be the JSA, it will be housing benefit. Most local authorities require proof of being on a benefit before paying housing benefit and from what I remember, part of the signing off process will be notifying the local authority that the benefit has stopped (usually done by the job centre). Obviously, he can sign off JSA and then sign back on again when he is back, however the local authority may be notified of this and refuse to pay the rent/mortgage for the week without prior permission.

I would ring your local authority/housing association and speak to them.

Man of Honour
if i had my tinfoil hat on id say he didnt want to go so he made up some BS and said the dole office wont let him go or it'd cost him £1,000 :o
if you sign off your free to do as you please untill you sign back on imo
why did he leave it till the last minute? when ever you talked to him about the holiday what was his attitude like? did he seem 'right up for it' or was he like, yeah, ok, il go i suppose...

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;25452306 said:
How long has he been on it?! :o :p

Aye one wonders at statements like this.
I have some 'customers' who have been exempt on JSA for as long as I've known them, over 10 years.
I clearly have no understanding of the system, or its goals.

Associate
Regarding the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit/ Reduction scheme. Complete a temporary absence from either before the holiday or on return.
State on the form you are a going abroad, dates of travel etc Also state you are signing off from JSA, that you will not be working during period and that your income will be nil. Your Housing Benefit will continue with no overpayment.

I see this many times when we receive temp absences for people holidaying abroad, Often for several months when they return home for 2-3 mth holidays to Iraq.

Man of Honour
Aye one wonders at statements like this.
I have some 'customers' who have been exempt on JSA for as long as I've known them, over 10 years.
I clearly have no understanding of the system, or its goals.

Not really a discussion for this thread - but the job center is there to manage unemployment not to get people back into work. Once you make that distinction you'll start to understand how some people can game the system.

Back
Top Bottom