Renault Clio snapped cambelt - Any guess at cost?

Soldato
Hi all,

girlfriend's Clio 1.2 unfortunately snapped its cambelt at about 50mph at weekend.

We reckon the car is worth about a grand tops (80,000 miles), 1998 'S' reg.

Anyone got any experience in Renault cambelt repairs, at a guess its probably not economical repairing it but I suspect its at least worth an engineer giving it a quick once over? It needs a big service + MOT in March as well. Since the belt went at fairly high revs I think its probably bent most of the valves but have no real way of checking that.

Next question then, with £2000 to spare what sort of 5 door hatchback would you recommend? No requirement for speed nippiness.Petrol / diesel is equally fine. I'm a fan of old civics but I think Jill wants something a bit more stylish.

Cheers!

Soldato
If you have the right contacts and don't mind getting your hands dirty it is probably worthwhile doing it and carry on running it, espescially if there is little else wrong with the car.

This will mean dismantling it yourself and putting it back together getting an engine speciallist to do the valves etc. This is the costly stuff as it's labour intensive.

My mate bought an XM with a broken cambelt for £150, and i think the professional work cost him about £200 and i wouldn't have thought a clio engine would cost any more. He did all the taking to bits himself. He sold the car for £1000

To have it all done is probably going to be too expensive unless you or someone you know have the ability to do the labour intensive stuff it's breaking time or sell it as a none runner.

Back
Top Bottom