HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Guys.

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the instructions..

Set up first time and streaming perfectly well to my wd live..

Just hoping my new LG TV will be able to find it as well.

Soldato
Got it n low speed fan settings mate, can't hear anything, plus it is in my AV equipment room, plenty cool enough :)

Thanks though. :)

Soldato
OP
How did you manage that? I would be interested in perhaps sharing a folder to a few people using username & password combos...

Sorry I'm late. I signed up to No-Ip then I put that in the DDNS settings in synology.

Make an account and give them access to what you want(mine is video only\read only)
Then they can either login via a webpage or get the synology DS video mobile then put the addy and user\pass and bingo.

When the new Google TV comes here(HDMI stick) you can install all the android apps
including the Synology ones so you can access it via that.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
Pretty impressive although am i right in assuming without removing the image USB drive, hard-drives won't spin down? Or are there other issues with leaving the USB continuously connected?

Soldato
there are no other issues as far as I know, it is just that the hard drives wont spin down

if you leave the nas on 24/7 and the hard drives don't spin down when not in use, it can't be healthy on the drives and will consume more power of course

Soldato
Does the USB boot drive need to be physically removed? Or would a simple unmount via terminal work (if this is the case, i'm wondering if the unmounting could be stuffed into a script to run on boot)?

Only reason i'm asking is that the Microserver is in a location that isn't easily reachable and it'll be a royal PITA having to get to it in the event of a power cut etc etc

Other than that it looks extremely impressive and i wouldn't mind giving it a whirl. Few other questions though -
Am i right in assuming it'll work on all microservers (i've only seeen N40L/N56L listed in discussions)?
And it's been a while since i've used DSM but again i'm assuming you can easily mount an external USB drive and backup files from a raid 1 mirrored array within DSM? Can this be cron'd at all?

Soldato
I leave my USB stick in all the time and after 10 mins(set in synology)I don't see the HD light come on. I do have an old stick with write protect on.

... the lights will only flicker if there is some hard drive activity :confused:

Spindown is completely different, after 10 mins (if your drives spin down) you should hear this if you listen closely, also whilst it is in a spin'd down state: when you try to access the nas there should be a 2-3 sec delay while they come out of the power save / spin down state

Soldato
OP
I'm hard of hearing so I wouldn't hear it :)
I will start taking the usb stick out from now on. I'm hoping we get 4.3 update when it comes out.

So far loving my 4 bay(cheap)synology nas :)

Soldato
Would it be possible for someone to test if unmounting the USB drive, rather than removing the drive completely, achieves the same (ie - drives spin down)?
I'm assuming it will, which case there might be a scripting solution for this bug.

Soldato
Would it be possible for someone to test if unmounting the USB drive, rather than removing the drive completely, achieves the same (ie - drives spin down)?
I'm assuming it will, which case there might be a scripting solution for this bug.

Works for me mate, just don't ask me to script it :)

Soldato
Works for me mate, just don't ask me to script it :)

Much appreciated for taking the time to do this :)
Did you unmount it via DSM or did you do it under SSH?

Either way it shouldn't be too difficult to stick the unmount or udisks --unmount (which should power down the USB flash drive as well) into a bash script and get it executing via init.d or a @Reboot cron-job on bootup. Certainly it's one solution for this bug until it gets fixed.

Before i take the plunge, am i right in assuming XPEnology will work on all Microservers including the N36L (i've only really seen N40/N54 being mentioned in threads)? And similarly there's no issues with using external USB flash drivers or hard drives and using the the backup option within DSM?

Cheers again for any help :)

Soldato
No idea what you mean :)

Logged in over IP, clicked on my external usb notification and ejected it, waited 10 minutes and drives had spun down.

I'm using a N36L.

Soldato
OP
My hard drives are not spinning down at all :(
my mate came round stuck his ear to the N54 and the HDs are still spinning. I have removed the usb and tried the unmounts way
but still the same. Any ideas folks?

I should say I'm very hard at hearing so I can't hear the HDs.

Associate
Hi all, just a couple of questions before I buy some hard drives.

Does the OS run from the USB flash drive or from a hard drive?

Do you need 4 or 5 hard drives for the raid array?

Can the hard drives be of mixed size and can you upgrade them when you run out of space? i.e. could I start off with 4 or 5 1tb drives and then upgrade them to 3tb drives one at a time?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom