Getting my license back soon after Dangours Driving Ban

Associate
What can I expect. I lost it two year's ago, after a silly Street-racing effort. and crash at speed. and got a two year ban. Do theDVLA send a letter out first telling you how to go on. Or is it, like I expect. back to been 17 Year's old. And Start again with all the paper-work,

Soldato
Insurance will be tough. Do you have an MS50 code or just DD10? There was a company called Performance Direct who are a little more forgiving than most.

As mentioned above you will more than likely have to sit the extended test.

Permabanned
As above, you'll have to get a provisional again then do theory, and an extended re-test. The test is twice as long as a normal one, but with the same limit for the number of 'mistakes' you can make, so you have more chance at failing if you're a carp driver.

Then the insurance companies will hate you for 5 years. :(

Been there myself, thankfully a very long time ago, it did teach me a valuable lesson though. :)

Soldato
Isnt it only retest on a ban if you committed this offence within two years of passing?

I know people who have been banned from totting up then after 6 months get their licence back and drive on. Or is that a suspension?

Soldato
Isnt it only retest on a ban if you committed this offence within two years of passing?

I know people who have been banned from totting up then after 6 months get their licence back and drive on. Or is that a suspension?

Is that not just suspended?

I think the OP should realy speak to a Registered driving agency and see what they recommend.

Associate
I didn't have to resit after a ban. Not sure if it's the same south of the border but I think you are told at time of sentancing if you need to resit.

You can apply for you licence back 1 month prior to the end of the ban. You cannot drive again until you have your licence back from DVLA, even if ban period has expired.

Expect to fall out big style with insurance companies.

Soldato
Not all driving bans require an automatic retest to get your license back for example drink driving or speeding (although the judge can impose a retest if they feel it appropriate). If you are banned for dangerous driving you have to automatically take an extended retest.

When you lose your license for totting up 6 points in the first two years of driving this has nothing to do with the courts it is the DVLA revoking your license and to get it back you need to resit a normal driving test.

It you tot up to 12 points the courts suspend your license for the required period and you do not need a retest to get it back again.

oap

oap

Associate
If you need a retest you would have been told at the time of the ban, if not you can just send off for your licence when ban ends. Officially you can drive as soon as the ban ends and do not have to wait for your licence to be delivered.

Associate
If you need a retest you would have been told at the time of the ban, if not you can just send off for your licence when ban ends. Officially you can drive as soon as the ban ends and do not have to wait for your licence to be delivered.

My understanding is that you are not legally entitled to drive until you have your licence back from DVLA AND you ban period has ended. Your entitlement to drive does not automatically start from when your ban ends.

Also, you can apply for your licence back before your bands ends, 1 month before IIRC.

Soldato
Furthermore, a driving ban in the UK or suspension does not affect your ability to drive abroad although you should *really* have your licence with you when you travel abroad.

So you could have gone over there to keep your hand in :p

Soldato
Full retest, I have done it myself.

Re-apply for the provisional, do full theory and hazard perception.

Driving test will be over 1 hour long, mine was 1 hour 15 mins, had to do every manoeuvre, I passed with 2 minors, found it easier than the 1st time, I was only banned for 1 year though.

Insurance will be double what it would be if your license was clean.

Soldato
As above, you'll have to get a provisional again then do theory, and an extended re-test. The test is twice as long as a normal one, but with the same limit for the number of 'mistakes' you can make, so you have more chance at failing if you're a carp driver.

Then the insurance companies will hate you for 5 years. :(

Been there myself, thankfully a very long time ago, it did teach me a valuable lesson though. :)

Hahahahahahaha stupid i know but i completely ****ed myself at that:D

Back
Top Bottom