Goldcard and downgrade problems (Branded Desire HD)

Associate
Hi people,

I had a Desire HD on contract, direct from Orange. Luckily for me it was unbranded with no bloatware whatsoever, fast forward a couple of months, the phone developed a fault and was replaced with no arguments by Orange. Great I thought, till it arrived. It is absolutely crammed with all the Orange crap which on investigation can only be removed via the Goldcard -> downgrade method.

It is currently sat on software version 1.84.61.2 :mad: and I know it needs to be rolled back to 1.32.405.6 software to remove branding and in future allow root. I have created the goldcard without too much hassle and now gone onto the following process:
adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell

If you got "#" in the result, you have temproot! Proceed:

Problem I have is I can't get the "#" it just constantly throws up the $ sign.

I tried to continue with flashing the older software anyway via recovery mode but it just throws up "Main version is older".

So does anyone have any suggestions or an idiots walkthrough?

Thanks in advance people.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Try connecting the phone to the computer via "HTC Sync", not "charge only" like the instructions say.

Are you following this guide?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905003

I tried to continue with flashing the older software anyway via recovery mode but it just throws up "Main version is older".

Very risky! If any step fails - just stop and reasearch the error - don't carry on regardless, else you risk bricking your phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Try connecting the phone to the computer via "HTC Sync", not "charge only" like the instructions say.

Are you following this guide?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=905003

Very risky! If any step fails - just stop and reasearch the error - don't carry on regardless, else you risk bricking your phone.

Yes mate, that's the one. I followed all the instructions to the letter but it just doesn't seem to be working.
Been looking around for a video of what exactly I should be seeing but to no avail.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Restore the phone to factory firmware and try it again.

What's the point - he hasn't even flashed a rom yet?

Yes mate, that's the one. I followed all the instructions to the letter but it just doesn't seem to be working.
Been looking around for a video of what exactly I should be seeing but to no avail.

As stated earlier, try connecting the phone to the computer via "HTC Sync", not "charge only".

Soldato
lol

If it spits up anything other than # then it means you dont have temp/root.
Once you use the gold card to flash stock on there then you can use visionary+ to temp root then perm root then after your rebooted you can proceed with those commands.

I recommend: you try visionary+ again to perm root you need to get the engineering hboot flashed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
lol

If it spits up anything other than # then it means you dont have temp/root.
Once you use the gold card to flash stock on there then you can use visionary+ to temp root then perm root then after your rebooted you can proceed with those commands.

I recommend: you try visionary+ again to perm root you need to get the engineering hboot flashed.

Oh I know I don't have temp root, I fear I may be missing something here. To confirm:

I created a goldcard
Put this in the phone.
Copied the old firmware that allows root, onto it.
Then I get to this part of the process that seems to have me stumped.

Have I missed something out?

Soldato
Oh I know I don't have temp root, I fear I may be missing something here. To confirm:

I created a goldcard
Put this in the phone.
Copied the old firmware that allows root, onto it.
Then I get to this part of the process that seems to have me stumped.

Have I missed something out?

Once you make the goldcard and put it on your phone place the stock rom on the sd card and pull the battery out and put back in and press vol down + power and it should load to white bootloader screen and proceed with flashing the stock rom automaticly.

Associate
OP
Once you make the goldcard and put it on your phone place the stock rom on the sd card and pull the battery out and put back in and press vol down + power and it should load to white bootloader screen and proceed with flashing the stock rom automaticly.

Hi mate,

Ok, I've done this and here is what I get...

SD Checking...
Loading....(PD98DIAG.zip)
No image!
Loading....(PD98DIAG.nbh)
No image or Wrong image!
Loading....(PD98IMG.Zip)

After this it loads the image, checks it and then says:

"Failed. Main image is older!"

Could it be my Goldcard??

Associate
OP
Reading back through this thread I think there is some confusion (mainly on my part).

Just to check the order I should do things in:

1)Create Gold Card
2)Place old firmware on Gold Card
3)Do the "adb push psneu......" etc as mentioned in OP.
4)Boot into recovery and attempt to load IMG file.

Or have I got this totally wrong?? My head is scrambled with this :(

Soldato
Reading back through this thread I think there is some confusion (mainly on my part).

Just to check the order I should do things in:

1)Create Gold Card
2)Place old firmware on Gold Card
3)Do the "adb push psneu......" etc as mentioned in OP.
4)Boot into recovery and attempt to load IMG file.

Or have I got this totally wrong?? My head is scrambled with this :(

If you still havent gotten it sorted out i will walk you through it tonight via remote assistance...

Associate
do you get an error after the
line?

How would this error manifest itself?

After I type in the 1st, 2nd & 5th lines in command prompt, I just get a list of all the possible "adb" options.... is this correct?

No, each line is a separate command, you type one line in and then press return.
You should either get an error message, a confirmation message (like the push commands should show the size of the file "pushed" to you phone) or just a new line.
If you are getting a list of adb options you haven't typed in the line correctly as it didn't understand what you were trying to do, or you typed in more than one line at a time.

Hopefully ViRuS2k has sorted you out anyway.

Associate
OP
No, each line is a separate command, you type one line in and then press return.
You should either get an error message, a confirmation message (like the push commands should show the size of the file "pushed" to you phone) or just a new line.
If you are getting a list of adb options you haven't typed in the line correctly as it didn't understand what you were trying to do, or you typed in more than one line at a time.

Hopefully ViRuS2k has sorted you out anyway.

Hi mate, I am definitely only typing one line at a time and hitting enter at the end. This is the format I am typing it in command prompt:

adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
adb shell

Do I have spaces in there that I shouldn't??

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

After "adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp" you should get something like

1466 KB/s <557962 bytes in 0.371s>

Indicating the push has been successful (you're transferring a file to the phone).

Should get the same after pushing misc_version.

If you just get a list of the adb syntax then you haven't typed the adb command in correctly.

Can you grab a screen shot of the cmd window for us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom