ESP warning light?

Soldato
The ABS won't work with that pressure sensor inoperative. It's not ideal but you can still use the car with the ABS not working, a few years ago no cars even had ABS. The light on the switch is off because you don't have the option to turn it off now it is broken, if the system was ok the switch would be lit.

The ABS still works with the pressure fault it is the ESP and traction control that is disabled. The light is not off on the switch it is on as the system is disabled when the light is off the system is working as designed.

To the OP I would try VW customer services they are replacing them for free with a full VW service history but a few owners on forums have managed to get them replaced without a full VW service history (but still needing a full service history)

Associate
With the G201 fault the ABS does work but the ESP does not.

If you are ok with spanners you can do the job yourself for £150 plus a few quid for 2/3 bottles of dot4 but you would need vagcom/vcds to bleed the ABS pump.

Thats what the repair kit is ....a new ABS pump without the electronic controller.

If your MOT is due it will not fail the ABS as my G201 sensor went on a 06 reg in summer and passed the MOT fine with ESP light on dash.

But MOT as of 2012 a ESP warning light will be a fail...so if you keeping car its gonna have to get done I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the info. Most importantly... Is it still safe for a very cautious driver to drive it as it is? Just for a couple of weeks till I can afford to get it done should it not get done for free.

Thanks,

G

Last edited:
Soldato
Also am I right in thinking that this happens to all Tourans eventually and VW should know that?

It affects Golfs and Tourans with ESP, they don't all fail but they do have a very high failure rate. It is a wide spread issue it also affects BMW, Volvo and Ford as the same company supplied the ABS pumps with the design flaw.

Soldato
Also am I right in thinking that this happens to all Tourans eventually and VW should know that?

It pretty much happens to all cars fitted with the mk60 pump before a certain age eventually. I've had the pumps rebuilt both on my dads Touran and my wifes Seat Altea. We were offered no good will on either as the servicing wasn't kept within the dealer networks. It cost over £400 for them just to be rebuilt a year ago. It's much cheaper now.

Soldato
OP
VW are saying I still have to pay £50 for a diagnosis and then there is no promise that they will do anything on the price in terms of goodwill. :(

I printed out the vcds and showed them it but they insisted I pay the £50 any way.

Can't afford it at the moment, kind of wish I hadn't already spent that Tenner now lol

Never mind.

Back
Top Bottom