Win 7 or Win 8??

Caporegime
Just a quick question that im hoping someone can answer but which is the better version...im speccing a laptop for myself and i have the choice of win7 ultimate 64 bit and win 8 64bit.

Which one is better and why, for the record i do use Win7 at my office and i kinda like it...much better than the vista ultimate i have on my laptop at home.

Thanks

Man of Honour
I've had both on 2 similar spec'd laptops and Win 8 does run faster (start up, shutdown & general usuage) so I'm on win 8 at the moment, and won't be going back, as much as I liked Win 7 too :)

Lots of threads on here about the pros and cons of Win 8 :)

(also Win 8.1 is due soon with some more improvements hopefully)

Soldato
Just a quick question that im hoping someone can answer but which is the better version...im speccing a laptop for myself and i have the choice of win7 ultimate 64 bit and win 8 64bit.

Which one is better and why, for the record i do use Win7 at my office and i kinda like it...much better than the vista ultimate i have on my laptop at home.

Thanks

Having had both on my Samsung Laptop I would say Win8 for sure, main reasons being longer battery life with Win8 and better security plus free upgrade to Win8.1(Windows Blue) latter this year.

Soldato
2 week ago I would have said win7 but having now used win8+start8 I'm now firmly in the 8 camp. It's blisteringly fast and I even love the metro screen.

Man of Honour
If I'm not mistaken, Start button will be back in Win Blue (8.1)

Not really, it's a button to start screen.
People seem to confused about hot corners. I just hope you can disable it. I like the hit corners with our a visual button.

And if you have to buy a new os you would be pretty mad not to go win 8, give it a go for a few weeks, see if you can adjust if not startisback.

Soldato
The rational option is to go with Windows 8.

There would have to be a good reason why you would choose an older operating system over a newer one.

The lack of a Start menu out of the box is not a good reason.

Associate
I was very anti-win 8 until I decided to upgrade due to wanting an SSD and decided the mega fast boot times would be worth a punt. To be honest I love it, its faster more nippy OS, especially with the better SSD support. Some of my games actually run better, whilst I hate metro apps, the all apps screen is nice as long as you keep it tidy.

I spend little time in metro, I just pin my icons so its nice to have all my shortcuts on click away and a clean desktop as a result. The under the hood changes are awesome. Adamantly MS could have made it more user friendly to the uninitiated when using a keyboard/mouse.

Bry

Bry

Associate
8 is windows 7 on steroids with metro stuff, since there are plenty of ways to disable metro interface (if you don't like it) there is no reason not to go with windows 8.

Soldato
W7 still the winner... im stay stick in 7 as no point to upgrade to 8... dont like look at 8.. so boring

I don't see how,if anything WIn7 is boring since same UI virtually since WIn95 ,so much for new ideas oh wait that's where Win8 comes in ie improved in several areas(some I already mentioned),at least we get a free upgrade to WIn8 .1 :D .

Btw is speccing for a new laptop so makes sense IMHO to go with latest OS for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows 8

Only takes a second to press windows+D and you can always get 8.1 later this year. I'm not Windows 8 fan by any means, but there are some nice touches to it, which is why I see no reason to put Windows 7 back on.

Heck if you feel adventurous you even even setup the metro stuff, I did. Not really looked at it for about 3 months though.

Back
Top Bottom