Final Fantasy 13 - Lightning Returns

Soldato
Anyone checked this out yet on an import version?

There are a smattering of reviews around online that give a varying picture, but I'm quite intrigued to see what the general consensus turns out as.

FF13 was my first FF game, and I really enjoyed it. Having since played the likes of FF7 and FF9, I understand where the fanbase was coming from in terms of 13 being far too limited and linear. The more open world approach of LR interests me in that regard, although I'm a bit skeptical about the doomsday timer in the game and how that might affect the end game side of things.

So, any experiences of it yet on here?

Soldato
I really wanted to import it but due to no english audio i couldnt :( Btw i strongly suggest you play 13-2 massive improvement over 13, I enjoyed 13 very much also mind.

IF you want this game cheaper too head over to game collection there doing Lightning Returns for £29.95

Soldato
Only played the demo at Eurogamer last year. Battle system is different compared to 13 and 13-2 but I am looking forward to it. Won't be buying it on release as I know it will drop below £20 within a month like 13-2 did.

Associate
Won't be buying it on release as I know it will drop below £20 within a month like 13-2 did.

Same here, not paying £40 new for it.

The impressions I've read say that the battle system is great but the story is awful. I actually sort of liked 13 when I replayed it after hating it on first play through so I'm somewhat looking forward to it. Have ff x hd ordered as well which I've never played so it should be a good couple of months rpg wise.

Soldato
I once set Square on the highest of videogame pedestals, and now I don't even blink when they announce a new game. One thing that perplexes me more than anything with SE is why they take years before releasing new games. Really, the only mainstream Final Fantasy they released since FFXII on the PS2 was FFXIII. Everything else has been spin-off nonsense or the online game.

For the profile that SquareEnix still has in the industry and the size of it, they should be creating at LEAST 2 mainstream Final Fantasy's per console generation. They need some new direction and better management at the highest levels of the company. Their fascination with spin-offs of IP's that a majority of their fanbase dislike, and slow pace in which they release brand new Final Fantasy's, seems like they're almost fearful of doing something new with the brand. It reeks of the upper management at the company being too timid to make decisions.

I mean even Final Fantasy XV which we've known about since FFXIII was released, is not necessarily a brand new story. It was linked originally to FFXIII's world lore. Why are they so scared of creating something new like each Final Fantasy used to be?

I'll bet £100 we won't see FFXV until 2015 despite it being in development since the dawn of last generation consoles.

Soldato
OP
Aye, I was going to wait for it to come down too.

Interesting what you say about 13-2, I played it and really didn't find it any better, if anything I enjoyed it less since it was too easy. By the end I was so overpowered I just trounced through battles.

Maybe I need to follow paulc's example and play them through again...

Soldato
Great while they were Squaresoft, poo now they're Square Enix. It's not just nostaglia speaking - 10 minutes on a snes emulator with Secret of Mana/Chron Trigger/Final Fantasy and the difference in quality is night and day.

Soldato
tbh, I couldn't even complete FFXIII, It was just a bad game, visually it was stunning, reason I've never bought 13-2 or not even thinking about 13-3 is because I couldn't be bothered to play it anymore.

Maybe i'll attempt to try it again, but I doubt it.

Soldato
I struggled through FF13 very quickly just to get to the end part and played that more than the entire game just doing side stuff and grinding to kill all the powerufl monsters etc.
13-2 I lasted about 90 minutes at the most and couldn't bare it any longer. It felt exactly the same, and concentrating on 2 really annoying characters so I just couldn't do it.

Was thinking of renting Lightning returns but with Dark Souls 2 out at a similar time then I can't really see any chance i'd get to play it. Maybe with a gaming lull later in the year....

Oddly, I am excited for FF15 though which is the 1st time I've been excited for a FF game since waiting for FF9.

Soldato
Well got bought this recently, It really is not forgiving at all! The limitiation you have on time really has an impact on how you attempt things allot more than i thought it would.

Side quests being the only way to boost stats means you have to do them also aids you getting more days, Im 5hours in cant even kill first boss just not strong enough. The games world is open from the start but i have found that its very easy to get lost in all the quests you have going on and can end up being overwhelming.

HOWEVER....I still love it :D The combat is fluid but very very quick.

Back
Top Bottom