Basic Guide For Overclocking Q6600 on Asus P5K-E (and similar) Motherboards

Associate
Thanks Hex. Mine turned up yesterday so when i get it installed I'll do that.

Any idea what the changes are for the increased stability?

It would be a good idea to test first before updating...as you may very well find nothing wrong....as mine is running 0603 which don't have the 0.1v bug...and if something went wrong updating your board you could end up with a dead board for nothing.:)

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Latest BIOS lets you disable the WiFi properly (helps with high FSB OCing), also it improves memory compatability (CPU-Z used to read my RAM as Asymetric all the time, now its Symetric).

Not sure what else it does, but whatever it is seriously helped my OC on this CPU.

Remember though that the BIOS Vcore is bugged the actual voltage will be 0.1V less than whatever you set in BIOS.

I have to set 1.525V in BIOS to get 1.425V in Windows.

Soldato
CPU-Z used to read my RAM as Asymetric all the time, now its Symetric.

This is new to me. Could you explain please?

Remember though that the BIOS Vcore is bugged the actual voltage will be 0.1V less than whatever you set in BIOS.

I have to set 1.525V in BIOS to get 1.425V in Windows.

I suppose this doesn't matter as long as you can get the actual voltage that you need.

Soldato
It would be a good idea to test first before updating...as you may very well find nothing wrong....as mine is running 0603 which don't have the 0.1v bug...and if something went wrong updating your board you could end up with a dead board for nothing.:)

Does the 0603 bios allow you to disable th onboard wifi?

Associate
yup they are nice coolers :)

am certain you will be trying again tomorrow overclocking is like pringles once you pop you cant stop :)

You right there! And thanks for your help

Been playing around today, have been able to load windows no problem at 3.4 and 3.6ghz and do normal activities such as web browsing, listening to music etc without any probs but cant get it prime stable. Dont know what do do about the 0.2v voltage difference between the bios and under load though, have found a new version on my bios (0903) but dont know if this would help much

Will go back to the stable 3.2 for the min which is fine anyway but just so addictive to keep looking higher :p

Soldato
OP
Ok have played around today with various versions of BIOS and by far the best is 0602, have added a little section to my first post so please have a read there about re-flashing etc..

Soldato
OP
yup I couldnt get it to see my USB either, it can flash from a HDD but needs to be FAT format... so Windows was only option for me... done it 3 or 4 times now no problems

Associate
After setting my northbridge voltage to 1.4 from auto its made things a little more stable, nearly have a 3.4 profile stable but am still playing with voltages but temps are good with the tuniq on its lowest fan setting

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Well i'm still runing 0906, and after lapping my CPU last night I now have 3.6Ghz solid :D

CLICK ME!!!

Only problem now is getting those temps down a bit. They are fine now, but its winter... soon as it starts getting warmer weather those temps are going to break into the 70's rather quickly...

Associate
I've got it to 3.5 prime stable and should be able to get more out of it yet, I'm struggling to find the time to put aside to do it though tbh, that and I'm running all my case fans at the slowest setting as I want a quiet rig for 24/7 use. I have had it at 3.6 running prime, but that was with very slack memory timings as a quick test, all coming down to time really :(

As for the bios I think I'll go with the one Pneumonic suggested, I still haven't got round to finding the max FSB which I've said I'll do following cyzmyassbaby's request, will do a bios update, add in my new ram and find the max fsb bus tonight unless the wife drags me kicking and screaming to the pub lol.

Associate
I've updated the bios to 0602 tongiht via Asus EZ EZ Flash 2 and a USB stick, all went fine, fingers crossed I find some time tomorrow to get some clocking done. I've also changed the CPU fan control from Bios where I had it set to Q-Control - optimal to the beta of speedfan which reads the temps correctly, in doing so I've droped my load temps at 3.5Ghz to 59C.. happy with that!

Back
Top Bottom