Difference between professor and Dr

Soldato
A 'Professor' is the highest academic ranking you can hold, so yes, harder than becoming a Doctor (PhD), so I would imagine that given the work needed to be done to become a Professor, all professors would already be PhD by that stage.

Not necessarily; one of the professors at my university doesn't have a doctorate.

Man of Honour
It can be a right pain in the ass.
Every day I get emails from Surgeons, Professors & Doctors and they usually go something like this -

Hi David,

blah blah blah

Regards
Ahmet (or Mark or Monica or Mohammed etc)

but because of etiquette I have to email them back with a Mr/Mrs, Prof or Dr which means looking through email address books or NHS phone books and if I get it wrong they will sarcastically tell me.

Soldato
This is wrong.

Surgeons are called Mr/Mrs for an entirely different reason. Infact, the reason they are called Mr/Mrs is almost the opposite of what you just said.

Upon attaining membership of the Royal College of Surgeons, they are free to use the title "Mr" as a tradition from the days that surgeons did not attend medical school. People commonly went to barbers to have minor surgery and as such using Mr is a hark back to the days when surgeons were very much the 'lesser' of the two.

Many doctors do an MD (Medicinæ Doctor - equivalent to a PhD) which is a postgraduate degree and requires them to submit a thesis in some sort of research field.

i stand corrected on the surgeons.

but whilst 'many' doctors to an MD, it is still comparatively few compared to the overall number of medical doctors.

as a side note the people i know who work with surgeons call them 'butchers' - our company has been told that the general rule when making a product that they will use is that it must be easy for an idiot to use - i find that amusing since our lives are literally in their hands!

Caporegime
Many doctors do an MD (Medicinæ Doctor - equivalent to a PhD) which is a postgraduate degree and requires them to submit a thesis in some sort of research field.

erm no

this is the problem you get with the internet - people start quoting wikipedia and just get it all wrong

most medical doctors do not have an MD - they technically have two bachelors degrees upon graduation - bachelor of medicine and bachelor of surgery. MD is a US qualification and not relevant to the UK.

FWIW German doctors don't use the title 'Dr' unless they've earned a proper doctorate.

Soldato
Every day I get emails from Surgeons, Professors & Doctors and they usually go something like this -

Hi David,

blah blah blah

Regards

but because of etiquette I have to email them back with a Mr/Mrs, Prof or Dr which means looking through email address books or NHS phone books and if I get it wrong they will sarcastically tell me.

I'd just use their first name for the reply, if they don't use the title in their email then you don't have to use it either.

Soldato

Hi David,

blah blah blah

Regards

If they didn't end with Mr/Dr/whatever then you don't have to do that. Also, if they address an email to you with "Hi David" then your reply should be "Hi Ahmet", not Mr/Dr/Prof etc.

EDIT: Guess I should read the entire thread before replying! haha!

Soldato
I am not wrong - you are. The US medical degree is the MD. Fine. The British one is the MBChB (MBBS etc).

Postgraduate study at the level of a PhD for British medical school graduates is possible - an MD. I do believe PhDs are also possible but I am not sure.

Again, you are wrong.

Correct.

To re-iterate- any doctor of medicine in the UK will be MBBS/MBChB. MD is a postgraduate qualification.

MD is the standard medical qualification in the US, (and incidentally still a postgraduate qualification since medicine is an exclusively postgraduate course over there iirc)

Man of Honour
If they didn't end with Mr/Dr/whatever then you don't have to do that. Also, if they address an email to you with "Hi David" then your reply should be "Hi Ahmet", not Mr/Dr/Prof etc.

I was informed that even though they sign off with their first names I must use etiquette back to them.
There are several who have also insisted that I use their first names.

Back
Top Bottom