Do you have to have a water meter?

Soldato
Hmm, what would happen if you didn't require water? Eg, you washed yourself/clothes in the sea and drank water from the lakes/rivers? Surely it's illegal to charge somebody for somethng that they don't use..? :confused:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Morlan said:
Water is free as long as you don't water your garden during the summer heatwave. Why can't the UK do the same? :confused:

Because it's great business and makes a lot of money. You tell people water is precious and tell them to stop watering their gardens and orangeries even when the true reason for water shortages is your own unmaintained pipes that loose more water through leaks than people use in some areas.

Soldato
Daniel said:
The government want the whole of the UK on water meters eventually so all new builds will now have them as standard.

Well that's odd because the government have Zippo to do with Water. :p It's up to the Water Companies (Privately Owned) in the end, however only one Water board has actually been given rights to force people to have water meters installed. The rest are optional choices, and as has been mentioned if you choose to get one installed you can come off it within a set time frame. However if you move into a house with one already installed you have no choice and have to keep it. And to the OP, don't complain. Your now paying exactly what you should be paying and not a penny more.

Don't know why people complain so much about water meters, if everybody was on a meter it would make things a lot easier At present everybody not on a meter gets charged a fixed price for all the water in the area which is averaged per house (Companies should be on water meters as they use more). Now this fixed price doesn't allow for the leaks in the network, now considering in some areas up here in Scotland there are leaks equivalent to 60l/s your paying a lot more than you should be as your also paying money for a percentage of the leaks in the area. If you were on a meter, the water company no longer has you paying for the leaks = more leaks found/fixed and lower water usage in your area.

Soldato
Morlan said:
Hmm, what would happen if you didn't require water? Eg, you washed yourself/clothes in the sea and drank water from the lakes/rivers? Surely it's illegal to charge somebody for somethng that they don't use..? :confused:

But people don't, if you don't use water and aren't connected then you don't pay water charges. But you would probably be likely to still pay sewerage charges unless you just do your business in the garden :o

Another way of doing things is to get a borehole in your area. Hook it up to the local network and you can sell the water to your waterboard. Everybody's a winner :)

Soldato
Defcon5 said:
We recently moved into a new house which came with a water meter, thing is our bills are huge compared to what they used to be.

So can we ask for it to be taken off and just have a normal bill?

Would you like to have you gas and electricty meter removed as well? Water should be metered, if you use more than the next man you should pay more!!

Soldato
I can't wait till everyone starts paying for water cause a lot of people just waste it.

I pay for my water and I see my neighbours running it down the drain. Some actually wash their car everyday, powerhose their yard every week for no bloody reason apart from wasting free water.

They use five times the amount of water that I do but I pay due owning a business.

Most home's in rural NI have meters now and within 2 years, they will all have to pay.

They will soon realise what its like to pay for water and learn not to waste it.

If you aren't hard on water then the cost won't be worrying but those that waste will complain.

I'm going to bore a well so I'll be laughing at them with my free water. :D

Back
Top Bottom