Do you have to have a water meter?

Associate
don't fink u can. I moved into a new house and we have a water meter. So basically you get charged for the water you use as oppose to before where you just paid every quarterly. Its suppose to make you more aware of the water used.

Last edited:
Don
Defcon5 said:
We recently moved into a new house which came with a water meter, thing is our bills are huge compared to what they used to be.

So can we ask for it to be taken off and just have a normal bill?

no you can't but they certainly shouldn't be lots more unless you use a daft amount of water

Associate
I think all new houses are built with a meter, also when you move house if the house you are moving into doesn't have one then one has to be fitted. I'm not sure of all this I could be wrong... perhaps it all depends upon the area...

Associate
I chose to have one fitted and have saved a load of cash.

Admittedly I only share the house with my wife, but we have seen our water bills halved.

I think the hose pipe ban here in the South East has helped too!

Associate
The government want the whole of the UK on water meters eventually so all new builds will now have them as standard.

We will soon be paying the same price for water as we do for petrol :mad:

Dan

Soldato
All new houses built from god knows when have to be fitted with water meters, the water companies want EVERYONE on a meter, thats why you can get one fitted free. It must cost them a bit to fit each one as they subcontract out, the path has to be dug up and re concreted over etc.

We got one put in a year ago and our bills are pretty much the same, it works out a lot more expensive on a meter compared to rates though.

Two bed flat and our metered bills and slightly less than our rates were and we never have a bath and never use a hosepipe. So i can see water charges going mad over the next 10-15 years as more and more are metered.

Soldato
Daniel said:
The government want the whole of the UK on water meters eventually so all new builds will now have them as standard.

We will soon be paying the same price for water as we do for petrol :mad:

Dan
Erm what the government want is fair, if you use more you pay more? How simple can you get? What currently isn't fair is the choice some people have to not bother getting a meter.

Associate
I've read that if you get a meter installed you can have it taken out within 12 or 18 months so you can change your mind in that time if you find you're not saving any dosh.

Soldato
nope, and im glad we dont, god help us when we try to fill the pool :eek: :eek: :eek:

Recon im going to have to abandon my fishkeeping hobby when i get my own house as the tanks are ****** huge. :(

Soldato
I pity you British people for being charged water, council tax, waste charges, etc, it's a disgrace. I remember moving to Scotland from Ireland and being hit with these hideous council tax bills, something I had never factored in before moving.

There are waste charges in Ireland but if you have a compost lott and recycle your plastics, glass, tin, papers, you don't get charged a penny. Water is free as long as you don't water your garden during the summer heatwave. Why can't the UK do the same? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom