alternative to phrase "it can be argued"

Soldato
Adz said:
Some would argue
Some would suggest

I'm guessing this is for a dissertation? If so the following would not really be suitable. They are quite picky so would get comments like "who would argue?".

Soldato
Adam said:
I'm guessing this is for a dissertation? If so the following would not really be suitable. They are quite picky so would get comments like "who would argue?".

Which is fair enough really. Both "it can be argued" and "some would argue" are wishy-washy phrases that people use if they're not sure who thinks that and to what extent it's a valid or widespread opinion. It comes across that you've thought of something yourself out of the blue, aren't confident about whether it's a new idea or not, imagine that some people have probably thought the same before, and haven't put in the effort to find out if that's the case or not. Instead you should be making it clear whether you're explaining other people's opinions (in which case you should say whose opinions they are) or have an idea of your own (if that's appropriate), in which case again you should say so, perhaps with explanations of how it agrees or disagrees with previous ideas and why in your opinion it is a feasible or reasonable opinion.

Soldato
I’d try and avoid using that phrase entirely, it’s weasel words, the sort of phrase that Fox News uses a lot. The whole “some people think” etc is used as a way of presenting any opinion with added credibility.

Ask yourself this – who is arguing this, why not point out who?

Permabanned
PinkPig said:
Which is fair enough really. Both "it can be argued" and "some would argue" are wishy-washy phrases that people use if they're not sure who thinks that and to what extent it's a valid or widespread opinion. It comes across that you've thought of something yourself out of the blue, aren't confident about whether it's a new idea or not, imagine that some people have probably thought the same before, and haven't put in the effort to find out if that's the case or not. Instead you should be making it clear whether you're explaining other people's opinions (in which case you should say whose opinions they are) or have an idea of your own (if that's appropriate), in which case again you should say so, perhaps with explanations of how it agrees or disagrees with previous ideas and why in your opinion it is a feasible or reasonable opinion.
Nah I disagree. Perhaps they can be used that way, but they are not used that way exclusively.

Back
Top Bottom