People keep parking in front of my drive, what can you do?

Soldato
Most days people keep parking in front of my drive & block me in.
I have to keep telling a neighbour to move their car :(

Take the following pic for example, I could probable squeeze around it but the road outside is on a bend/hill & there are large buses going down at 30mph + boy racers etc.
This car cant park any further up the road as my neighbours 2nd car is there ( which usually get crashed into once a year :D )

Is there anything I could do to stop these disrespectful ******* :confused:

sorry about magenta cast but my creative webcam burnt out after leaving it on for 3hrs.
httpcam_1.jpg

Isn't this preck parked illegally?
wrong side of road, opposite a junction, within 12ft of a junction, on the pavement oh & blocking a driveway

Man of Honour
Start suddenly "needing" to go out late at night/when it's absolutely lashing it down with rain.
I expect he will get bored of having to move it for you all the time and park elsewhere.

Permabanned
he can legally park infront of your drive if your car isnt in it.

As your car is in in the drive his blocking access to the road. Call the council and get his car towed or burn it with fire.

Soldato
Apart from this do you get on with them at all? Just try ask them not to park infront of your car.

To be honest i have a feeling you don't get on with them, its really disrespectful not to have the curtousy to not block somebody in :\

Associate
i have this problem as well m8, my drive is at right angles to a dead end which leaves no room for me to get out of the driveway if there are two cars parked at the end of the street, fortunately for me the neighbour across the way got the message pretty sharpish and parks hard up against the kerbs allowing me enough room to swing out.
however i occasionally get the odd van driver (or people who are afraid to roll right up to the kerbs) blocking me in, usually a quiet word does the trick, however i have had a few shouting matches.

at the end of the day they are in the wrong and are obstructing your path, plus the junction parking is illeagal in itself

you could try applying to the local council and bringing the matter up there :confused: they may sugest painting some sort of line or wording there?

Associate
We have the exact same problem. Except our drive is a lot more narrower and you can only just get the car out. And our Neighbours Daughter keeps parking infront of it. We ask all the time but she still does it. So we just block her in when the cars off the drive. Park as far up her arse as we can. When she comes complain i give her a mouthful..

Associate
yep ive seen me parking right up the arse of a few cars that block my entrance to the driveway, this usually means they have to come to my door and ask me to move my car, at which point i remind them that they were in fact blocking my driveway in the first place

you'd be surprised how many of my surrounding neighbours have taken the hint :D

Soldato
he can legally park infront of your drive if your car isnt in it.
Can I ask if you know that for a fact, and how you know its true. If your car isnt there, it surely means you have gone out, and will be coming back at some point, so they still shouldnt be blocking your driveway anyway.

Plus what happens if you have a garage and your car is inside, how do they know theres not a car in the garage that needs to get out.

The point im trying to make is that I thought you werent allowed under any circumstances to block anybody elses drive???

Soldato
OP
Wow I see Im not alone.
I get on with my neighbour, its just visitors dont seam to care.
If I parked my car legally on the road outside I guess it would get crashed into within a day or 2.

Soldato
We get this as well....

I find having some proper man words normally sorts it out (I recommend shaving your head and going to the gym for a few months first). Failing that call the local police.

I think they like it in Cornwall as there's not much else for them to do so they love this ****!

:D

Soldato
I blocked someone in the other day*. She kept her hand on the horn for about 10 seconds which made me realise my error. I was in bed at the time. With the missus. It was absolutely pishing it down too. I was not amused.

*She could have got out if she had more than an ounce of spatial awareness. Needless to say, I won't be parking there again!

...or will I? ;)

Soldato
Yea, that seems a silly rule if it is true.

I'm fairly sure you have to have some signs up saying "no parking in front of drive" or such as well?

I know the vets near us had loads of problems with the same thing until they put a sign up. Now the cars just get taken away if they've been there too long.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I had an Incident outside my house yesterday concerning two workmen's vans blocking my drive :( I had to go out in five mins.
I told them to move them or i Ram then, they laughed & said go on then if you want to damage your motor. I said come here & showed them the Beast. Words were exchanged & at the point where we were s'pose to fight One of them said he can't hit an Old man :(:(
I was gutted & would rather the pair of them kicked me about the floor. Took me all day to get over it & only now do i post about it. I just Abused them & walked down the jitty whilst they moved the van.
Today i feel an absolute **** for over reacting & can't think of a way of getting an apology to these two guys. I embarrassed myself & feel 90 years old.
I've spent 12 years trying to control my temper & still lost it over something stupid. Hopefully my age & the embarrassment i feel will stop me losing it again over something so trivial.
So.
Just politely ask them to move it & karma is restored :cool:

Soldato
OP
Is the curb lowered or have you converted your front garden into a driveway?

Both my drives out front are lowered & before a recent re-kerbing the drive had a dropped kerb from when the house was built in 1939.

I understand how you can over-react to something like this as its so annoying.

Hmm, maybe I'll put up a sign with something like:
'24 hour access required, do not block entrance'

ooh I had to assert some self control there :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I have this problem. I park in a garage in a pretty narrow cul-de-sac with countless awkward neighbours blocking the garage entrance either near it or on the opposite curb.

I've been as far to go round one of their houses and bang on his door @ 5am on a sunday morning (his only day off work! :D) and say i need to get out to goto blah blah.

I've now sorted out almost all the problems but all the neighbours hate me now! success!!! :p

Admittedly i wouldn't take this approach unless my car was always garaged. I'd say the key is to be persistant though, even if in a v friendly way.

Associate
Are there any road traffic acts on this parking behavior at all?

I once parked infront of a neighbour's driveway, it was one of those which she had built specifically in place of part of the front garden. The kerb had been dropped at the time for access too. Note this is only a couple of years ago. I parked blocking half of it due to the rest of the road being taken up by visitors to an old people's home on the same street, one which has it's own damn car park too.

What is strange is that when visitors arrive at her house they are welcome to park infront of the drive. But when I did, I got asked to move. Does the homeowner own the public highway right outside their house?

If you park in the way when they are out, are you obliged to move to let them back in?

Don't worry I'm not really abnoxious, I don't live there anymore and I don't obstruct people intentionally :D

Back
Top Bottom